Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Engineers Are Becoming Concerned Over Some Arm Platforms Lacking Spectre V2 Mitigations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

Yep, let's also get rid of login passwords and door key locks while we are at it, and simply imprison everyone who enters someone else's account or home.
    The fact that we need passwords and locks, tells you everything you need to know about human kind ...

Comment

I thiught certain 64bit arm chips are immune to spec V2 eg a53. It would blow big chunks of crapola if there were performance penalties on hardware that didn't need it. And we wouldn't be able to disable it without recompiling userspace? Please tell me why I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

The fact that we need passwords and locks, tells you everything you need to know about human kind ...
        Not generally,.. Majority of people have got some moral standards in themselves. Only some individuals, maybe 1% or less, are that selfish, and focus on own gain on expense of others. However, these individuals can do lots of harm.

I saw many times parked car with open window, or some house with open garage without present owner, or keys left in the door from the outside, and never crossed my mind to take advantage of it,..

The worse part is, that morals are subjective. Ie. one can truly think, that he's rightful to do so,.. The other one is rich, and world belongs to everybody evenly,.. Regardless of how much one contributes back,... This is a twisted thinking of individual(s), but it's common. Even, some open-source movements are based on this view...

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

wise words

Comment

Arm is a mess, most of the hardware vendors do not care about their mostly outdated firmware and binary blobs. They should work on proper Linux mainline support. Everything else is just bad.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              Arm is a mess, most of the hardware vendors do not care about their mostly outdated firmware and binary blobs. They should work on proper Linux mainline support. Everything else is just bad.
              Yes that is one of the real issues. Hardware vendors usually don't care to implement the latest Firmware or Security patches. Especially if the device is close ...or half way to EOL.
              In their mind it is wasted money. This is what upsets me.
              Look at the old Kernels used on the most Smartphones just to be able to keep the old HAL of the 4th previous generation without much of modifications. Im not up to date but as far as I remember the most kernels still stick with the old lts 3.16 (it is EOL or isnt it?) or 4.4? and the vendors try to push kernel maintainers to keep on supporting it.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Not generally,.. Majority of people have got some moral standards in themselves. Only some individuals, maybe 1% or less, are that selfish, and focus on own gain on expense of others. However, these individuals can do lots of harm.
                That's how you get a financial elite and ruling establishment. And forget imprisonment, that's an establishment device, just execute everyone who makes in excess of 500k a year or becomes an elected official, that will solve everything.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
                  I'd say that the best way to implement a good microarchitecture is to hire Jim Keller. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Keller_(engineer) The only ARM microarchitecture that stands up to the x86 microarchitectures and doesn't fall on its face - well, he did it, at Apple.
                  Last line in the Wikipedia: In April 2018, Keller joined Intel. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

Last line in the Wikipedia: In April 2018, Keller joined Intel. :-D
                    Sure, but take a look at his entire track record. Intel should have hired him way earlier.

Comment

In the Google post, they are putting the onus on the right people. Namely ARM.

If people are designing CPU's based on your IP and there are weaknesses inherent to it, then its your gig to fix it.

If this keeps happening, then these fabless CPU makers are going to want more liability waivers in their licensing.

Comment

Working...
                      X