Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Switches To AMD Ryzen Threadripper After 15 Years Of Intel Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    This is out of context I was replying to the torsionbar28 he was saying that he would be fine with 8gb. of course 32cores a 64 threads is not normal and also not normal according workloads
    8 GB? No sir, not me!

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
      More cores -> more jobs -> more RAM.

A 64-thread machine with just 16 GB of RAM will probably be something of a swapfest, assuming you're ever actually using most of the cores.
      One can tradeoff ram for cpu, through z-ram. You can z-ram the 15gb and make them something like 30+ effectively... With all the cpu power available, real time mem compression/decompression won't be an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post
        One can tradeoff ram for cpu, through z-ram. You can z-ram the 15gb and make them something like 30+ effectively... With all the cpu power available, real time mem compression/decompression won't be an issue.
        Yeah I think you have to run MEMMAKER.EXE and reboot twice to update the CONFIG.SYS.

Comment

• Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

If I would have a broader budget - PowerPC (Raptor stuff not the old Apple thing) would be a nice to have hobby gimick.
          Well, I have to wait some time to get my budget back on demanded level. That one is interesting!

Comment

• Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Yeah I think you have to run MEMMAKER.EXE and reboot twice to update the CONFIG.SYS.
            Lol... but seriously it's very useful. I managed to prolong desktop use on ancient ddr2 and ddr3 equipment way past their useful lifetimes and without OOM and swapiness being an issue that makes the system crawl. I've stopped using it just recently since I now have 16GB and I'm not really using my RAM to its 100%, let alone past that mark.

If I'm not mistaken android phones are using zram and windows10 also uses memory compression nowadays.

Comment

• Don't forget that this is a quad channel system

Generally ram comes in ddr4 8GB sticks, and he's trying to have a powerful system so more memory bandwidth

That's atleast 4x2x8

Comment

• Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                8 GB? No sir, not me!
                Sry, I meant Vistaus

Comment

• "640 kb ought to be enough for anybody" -- Bill Gates
                  "8 gb ought to be enough for anybody" -- Vistaus

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
                    More cores -> more jobs -> more RAM.

A 64-thread machine with just 16 GB of RAM will probably be something of a swapfest, assuming you're ever actually using most of the cores.
                    At least as far as building a Gentoo system goes, I've found that 2gigs per core seems to be the sweet spot.

Comment

• douche, 10900K gives more FPS in CS GO than any Threadripper from Lisa

Comment

Working...
                      X