Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft President Brad Smith Acknowledges They Were Previously Wrong On Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post
    At least '90s Microsoft were somewhat honest in their approach. nu-Microsoft are just a snake in the grass.
    Makes me miss the Ballmer times.

Developers developers developers.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
      Sorry to break it to you, but Office 365 and all the apps that accompany it all run very well on Linux in a browser window.
      Also offline?
      Because even in decently developed countries like west EU there are still a lot of places where you don't have 100% always-on Internet, and even where you have it really should be better to have an application in the PC instead.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Makes me miss the Ballmer times.

Developers developers developers.
        He prefers web developers these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel Spektor View Post
          what are you talking about it's 2020 and still some Wine programs don't run because of Net Framework 4.5 ... it´s clearly a lock-in. Deprecating Net Framework 4.5 or older is still not enough there's literally millions of apps using Net Framework 4.5, what will be your options when Net Framework 4.5 gets removed from Windows OS? Use an unsupported OS?
          (and also there is devs using NetFramework 4.5 on 2020.)
          It's 2020 and some programs use GTK+ 2, oh gosh, the lock-in!

Comment

Hah!
            His statements reveal the plans of Microsoft to hijack Free Software, Open-source , Linux and such good things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel Spektor View Post
              what are you talking about it's 2020 and still some Wine programs don't run because of Net Framework 4.5 ... it´s clearly a lock-in. Deprecating Net Framework 4.5 or older is still not enough there's literally millions of apps using Net Framework 4.5, what will be your options when Net Framework 4.5 gets removed from Windows OS? Use an unsupported OS?
              Yes, either keep using last supported OS or dump the whole application (that is probably garbage, given how most .net development goes) and get a new one in a newer framework that isn't vendor-locked (.net Core is fine in this case).

How did it go with Flash or Silverlight or Java Plugins for the browser? If you try to use them in a modern browser you are fucked, period. It's always fun and games using an old server IPMI's remote management to see the screen remotely, they always require an ancient Java to work at all.

You wonder why VMWare is making fat stacks with virtualization? That's why. There are millions of VMs running ancient OSes with ancient .net or java or whatever the crap else to run some shitty application in many companies.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 14 May 2020, 10:27 PM.

Comment

When I listened that Free Software was a communist cancer I thougt it was the best selling point ever given to me for free software. Thanks uncle Bill xoxo

Comment

I would buy MS Office for linux if they managed to make it non-suck! My day job requires regular advanced usage of Excel (ex. VBA scripting to MS SQL databases, advanced data consolidation and analysis). Libreoffice is just not up to the task, tried it several times... got in enough trouble for installing the Ubuntu font and using it in a PowerPoint presentation, ended up embedding the font in the presentation and telling the other people working on it to stop whining.

But yah... come on, they apparently have MS SQL for Linux now (not sure how stripped down it might be), it would be awesome to get a copy of linux Office including outlook with the ability to talk to exchange.

Comment

I couldnt see any single line of GNU gpl / lgpl licensed ms product yet

Comment

E m b r a c e
                      x
                      t
                      E x t i n g u i s h
                      n
                      d

Comment

Working...
                      X