Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd Is Approaching 1.3 Million Lines While Poettering Lost Top Contributor Spot For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pkese View Post

That's what they all say. Even SystemD zealots will say that their 1.3 million lines of code will compile into multiple binaries, but we all know it is just another monolith.
    You just can't take it apart...
    Just as you can't take out from Linux a wifi driver and use it in your own script. If you can't put it in a /rc.d script, it's not Unix.
    I am all for systemd and I think Poetering should continue to improve and expand the tools that systemd provides. He should set a goal of 2 million lines of source code by years end. Its all open source source code and thus fully open for people to use as they see fit.

systemd actually sypports rc.d scripts fine. In fact, you can start your services from those scripts. If you wanted to start apache from rc.d you could do systemctl disable apache to stop it from being started from the unit file and then put in an rc.d script to start it.

This is why the anti-systemd rhetoric is nonsense. it does not take away the old way of doing things, it just adds new features in addition to the older features. So apparently what anti-systemd people object to is the introduction of new features that they think other people should not be allowed to do.

systemd is all open source, so by definition, it can be "taken apart" meaning you can read the source code and do with it what you please.

systemd, due to its ability to use dbus, is also decentralized and allows a loosely coupled way of doing things. This actually allows you to write your own daemon that can respond to system events on the bus. This means it can be made MORE loosely coupled than the shell scripts. This is true especially if you write your daemons which interact with the dbus protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
      I would like Systemd to clean/close its more than thousand opened issues. That would be a great indicator.
      Well, what sort of cleaning would you like? The great majority of issues are requests for enhancements, not bugs (only 104 bugs on the list). According to git, they are closing/resolving issues at almost the same rate as they are getting new ones.
      So issues on git are not only problems and bugs, but mainly requests for new features, with a few bugs among them.

Comment

Originally posted by FPScholten View Post

Well, what sort of cleaning would you like? The great majority of issues are requests for enhancements, not bugs (only 104 bugs on the list). According to git, they are closing/resolving issues at almost the same rate as they are getting new ones.
        So issues on git are not only problems and bugs, but mainly requests for new features, with a few bugs among them.
        Damn, you beat me to it but again most trolls just copy and paste the issues number on the trackers and use it as argument since most of them can't even differentiate between bugs and others request there

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
          I am all for systemd and I think Poetering should continue to improve and expand the tools that systemd provides. He should set a goal of 2 million lines of source code by years end. Its all open source source code and thus fully open for people to use as they see fit.
          Uhhh, what? Let's not have code for the sake of having code. That's feature creep/bloat, and some folks already have an issue with systemd in that regard.

Comment

Unix Philosophy is my favorite literature in the fantasy category....

Comment

Can't people recognize sarcasm these days? I don't think the person in question was trying that hard to avoid sarcastic tone.

Comment

So little baits, só many mouths to feed...

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  GNU Coreutils is ~200K lines and gnulib is ~1.1m
                  of course, because gnu is not unix

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Is FreeBSD more compliant then? 'Cause Haiku takes drivers from FreeBSD and use them in their own kernel.
                    but first freebsd takes drivers from linux and uses them in their own kernel. thus haiku takes drivers from linux indirectly

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
                      Devuan got it all wrong. Systemd is not the main problem. The real culprit is Linux.
                      Linux kernel violates all UNIX principles (besides, it's not even UNIX).
                      It is a single monolithic repository with 27.8 million lines of code that can not be taken apart.
                      The Linux kernel is forcefully pushed to us by multi-billion dollar corporations like Redhat and the likes.
                      Devuan should dump this malicious attempt of corporate infiltration into OSS ecosystem and switch to Gnu Hurd instead.
                      You're absolutely right, systemd is not the problem, in fact, it's the solution. Simply merge the kernel code with systemd. We would call it "Systemd Linux" or just "SUX".

Comment

Working...
                      X