Systemd In Ten Years Has Redefined The Linux Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
    This should be a calm and non-controversial topic.
    Let's all post only our thoughts on the technical merits of systemd and how it has improved our lives.
    Why?
    IMHO the best thinks about systemd have always been the controversy, the flamewars, the passionate fights ...
    (and also the funniest...)

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Actually for desktop user systemd is a blessing. .
      from 1% people who use linux on their desktops only 1% know what init system they use.

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
        from 1% people who use linux on their desktops only 1% know what init system they use.
        And of those 1%, only 1% actually care.

But the ones that actually set up stuff and make or break the distro for end users are the distro maintainers, and those do care quite a bit.

Comment

@flux242
          from 1% people who use linux on their desktops only 1% know what an init system is.

Fixed

But I personally think it's more like 10% of the 2% Linux users.

Also, systemd is not just an init system it is… every non-GUI thing except a kernel (for now… ; it's already even a bootloader !)
          But most users still do not know what all those things are.

Comment

30 years ago I was able to stick stuff in autoexec.bat and it started automatically when the computer booted.
            20 years ago I moved to Linux and figured out the init system. Put stuff in there and it started automatically when the computer booted.
            Today after my computer starts I get to manually start the database server and NFS. Then restart the web server.

No, systemd hasn't made my life better. The old init system worked, systemd doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer View Post
              Today after my computer starts I get to manually start the database server and NFS. Then restart the web server.

No, systemd hasn't made my life better. The old init system worked, systemd doesn't.
              I find it strange that you can't start stuff on boot with systemd when you can literally drop scripts in rc.d and it will start them too, but Ok.

Comment

30 years ago I was able to stick stuff in autoexec.bat and it started automatically when the computer booted.
                20 years ago I moved to Linux and figured out the init system. Put stuff in there and it started automatically when the computer booted.

So basically what you are saying is you are incompetent and can't comprehend simple documentation or learn new things? Even a retarded person could google "systemd unit to run script" and get it working. You should probably not be running Linux, or even operate a computer.

Comment

Recently, I had to set up some service on my personal server (Debian) that required several processes to be started and kept active. To do it in the systemd way (I wanted to do so), without any script, I had to create several services with dependencies. Systemd service files are less convenient than good old init scripts when you want to do something complicated (but I must say that, once set up correctly, it works great).
                  That said, the thing I really do not like with systemd is the idea to put in one big software things that should be independent.

Comment

Well if you have that kind of problem it means your system is not well configured, I've no problems with webserver, DB or NFS on mines

Comment

I know this might be difficult but.

Have you tried reading the manual?

Comment

Working...
                      X