No announcement yet.

CERN Endorsing Microsoft Alternatives Like ownCloud, Kopano, Alt-Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CERN Endorsing Microsoft Alternatives Like ownCloud, Kopano, Alt-Office Suite

Phoronix: CERN Endorsing Microsoft Alternatives Like ownCloud, Kopano, Alt-Office Suite

CERN, The European Organization for Nuclear Research that is home to the Large Hadron Collider and much more, has been working on alternatives to Microsoft software and recently some of their recommended options for various tasks / application replacements was published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know why they have choosen Owncloud instead of Nextcloud...

Comment

What is "Alt-Office" supposed to be?

When you click it, it brings you to the LibreOffice website.

Comment

Kicad !

Comment

I'm guessing they just internally refer to it as alternative office despite being libre office? Maybe because french is one of the two recognized languages of CERN they wouldn't want to refer to it internally as libreoffice?

"I think we should be using libre office"

"Yes, we want our microsoft alternative software to be free but can you be more specific which office suite to use?"

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
            No, it doesn't sound like you do.

Comment

It should be nextcloud+collabora online

Nextcloud Office is a powerful online office suite with collaborative editing and supports all major document file formats

I'm willing to give them a pass, smart people use Linux and open source. I do think though that we should push source-distros in the future though to protect software and ensure it's always available as humanity advances.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                I'm guessing they just internally refer to it as alternative office despite being libre office? Maybe because french is one of the two recognized languages of CERN they wouldn't want to refer to it internally as libreoffice?

"I think we should be using libre office"

"Yes, we want our microsoft alternative software to be free but can you be more specific which office suite to use?"
                It's in english that the word "free" can be confusing. As a matter of fact, "Libre" means free as in "freedom" not free as in "free beer" (that would be "gratuit"). So I don't really understand the issue with calling it LibreOffice in french...

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                  Probably paid support or something?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    No, it doesn't sound like you do.
                    Care to enlighten us? I'd be very interested to know why anyone in their right mind would be using Owncloud instead of Nextcloud in ~2020, for reasons other than brand recognition (same as the Open/LibreOffice controversy back in the day).

Originally posted by KingOfFreeMen View Post

It's in english that the word "free" can be confusing. As a matter of fact, "Libre" means free as in "freedom" not free as in "free beer" (that would be "gratuit"). So I don't really understand the issue with calling it LibreOffice in french...
                    It could supposedly be mistaken because in France they probably call free software "libre" (hence our use of the word in English as well), so the listener wouldn't know if we're referring to THE Libre Office or a generic libre, FOSS office suite. But still, if I'm not mistaken, in French "free (as in "freedom") office" would be "office libre", not "libre office" (even assuming they would be using the word "office" in the first place). So, I can only assume that they're simply still evaluating which alternative office suite to use, and until they make a final decision they refer to their future choice as an "Alt Office".

Comment

Working...
                    X