Systemd 244 Released With New Init System Features For Black Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arokh View Post
    Redhat isn't controlling the development of Linux (which is a kernel), Linus Torvalds is. Redhat is a distribution, other distributions are free to use whatever they like. Systemd is the superior alternative, which is why everyone is using it. This is fact, get that through your tinfoil hat.
    Most of the people when they talk about Linux, mean "most used distros, in general". Because kernel by itself, alone, is fairly useless.
    Only when one needs to split hair in arguments, we can see sudden moaning "but Linux is just a kernel, baaaaaaa".

Torvalds by himself is not authoring any Linux distro. Most distros are using systemd. This means, whatever systemd devs do, also ends up automatically affecting most of the distros. Which, can be simplified "systemd devs control Linux". Which even Phoronix agrees with (topic named: Systemd in Ten Years has Redefined The Linux Landscape)
    I rather seriously doubt Michael was talking about Linux Kernel Landscape.

It's not as much "superior alternative" but one that offers least "flow of resistance" when it comes to putting together and maintaining distros - not using it is harder than using it. Make sure you understand distinction, because you still seem to be utterly oblivious to it.

You just proved you have no idea what you are talking about and never actually used Pulseaudio. I'm running emulators like RetroArch and RPCS3 over Pulseaudio with perfect responsiveness, at the same time that I'm streaming bluetooth audio to my box over A2DP. If I want hardware mixing I have an asound.conf ready to go with pasuspender, but I actually never use it because there's no need. Pulseaudio's software mixing is brilliant.
    Clipping sound, crackling in the speakers, distorted sound, video and sound out of sync in videoplayer - precise issues I had to deal with on OpenSUSE before I migrated to BSD. It got especially worse when I did something that required more CPU resources. Sometimes it ignored "default" output and sent sound on it's own to attached headset or other output (my 17" Dell laptop had 2 sets of internal speakers).

Out-of-sync playback and clipping were the most annoying. Want to watch a movie with a girlfriend - you cant because shit on the screen is visibly out of sync from the sound and that delay is not even fixed (which could be fixed in, like VLC).

I am really glad Pulseaudio is working for you, but if you cannot believe me, do a fucking Google search about PulseAudio problems. You will see you are exception.

You're the very definition of a noob, configuring Pulseaudio is "mystical" to you. Here's my config:
    Code:
    load-default-script-file = yes
    default-script-file = /etc/pulse-daemon.conf.d/system.pa
    avoid-resampling = true
    default-sample-rate = 48000
    alternate-sample-rate = 44100
    Dude, there's much-much more to PulseAudio and it's config than your little few rows in a single file.. I spoke about "Advanced config". A-D-V-A-N-C-E-D. Who of us is "noob" here? When you have multiple sound cards, multiple microphones, want to use sound effects and shit, it get's really rather complicated really fast due high level of abstraction and very complicated internals of PulseAudio.

Are you trying to say "Berkley Unix" is not Unix? Just be quiet fool, get off the internet so your stupidness doesn't spread.
    Berkeley Unix is no more, "be quiet fool". It ended with 4.4-Lite2 back in 1995. Little Google query could have told you that, instead you spreading your "stupidness" (which ain't even a word, you probably wanted to use "stupidity").

"are based on" does not mean "is now". The other little thing is that name Unix assumes - Unix certification. None of the BSD's are certified Unices, so you can call them "Unix-like" at most. Court case (USL vs BSDi) at the beginning of nineties (which is largely WHY you even have Linux now) made sure BSD code did not contain any copyrighted Unix code (copyrighted code was replaced by CSRG faculty and students before the end of eighties). Without that court case, BSD free derivatives would have slightly earlier start and Torvalds has said if there was free Unix-like OS at the time available for x86, he would not have started writing Linux kernel.

Certified Unices for your general education and to stop you spreading "stupidness" (lol)

Sorry, I'm never in the BSD section. Any other idiotic arguments?
    And there, I admit, I did you injustice. I should have made sure in advance. Apologies.
    Last edited by aht0; 21 December 2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      Most of the people when they talk about Linux, mean "most used distros, in general". Because kernel by itself, alone, is fairly useless.
      Only when one needs to split hair in arguments, we can see sudden moaning "but Linux is just a kernel, baaaaaaa".

Torvalds by himself is not authoring any Linux distro. Most distros are using systemd. This means, whatever systemd devs do, also ends up automatically affecting most of the distros. Which, can be simplified "systemd devs control Linux". Which even Phoronix agrees with (topic named: Systemd in Ten Years has Redefined The Linux Landscape)
      I rather seriously doubt Michael was talking about Linux Kernel Landscape.

It's not as much "superior alternative" but one that offers least "flow of resistance" when it comes to putting together and maintaining distros - not using it is harder than using it. Make sure you understand distinction, because you still seem to be utterly oblivious to it.
      What's your point here exactly? Lots of words leading to nothing, Redhat isn't Linux and that's that.

Clipping sound, crackling in the speakers, distorted sound, video and sound out of sync in videoplayer - precise issues I had to deal with on OpenSUSE before I migrated to BSD. It got especially worse when I did something that required more CPU resources. Sometimes it ignored "default" output and sent sound on it's own to attached headset or other output (my 17" Dell laptop had 2 sets of internal speakers).

Out-of-sync playback and clipping were the most annoying. Want to watch a movie with a girlfriend - you cant because shit on the screen is visibly out of sync from the sound and that delay is not even fixed (which could be fixed in, like VLC).
      Sounds like you should blame OpenSUSE for a broken implementation then? These aren't issues in a working Pulseaudio install.

I am really glad Pulseaudio is working for you, but if you cannot believe me, do a fucking Google search about PulseAudio problems. You will see you are exception.
      Hey, google anything and you'll find people having problems with it. What does that prove? Again, nothing.

Dude, there's much-much more to PulseAudio and it's config than your little few rows in a single file.. I spoke about "Advanced config". A-D-V-A-N-C-E-D. Who of us is "noob" here? When you have multiple sound cards, multiple microphones, want to use sound effects and shit, it get's really rather complicated really fast due high level of abstraction and very complicated internals of PulseAudio.
      Oh, "ADVANCED"..... Yeah multiple cards and mics are handled automatically, there's no condfig. What sound effects and "shit" are you talking about? That doesn't sound like the job of an audio server. Again there's no point at all to what you're saying.

Berkeley Unix is no more, "be quiet fool". It ended with 4.4-Lite2 back in 1995. Little Google query could have told you that, instead you spreading your "stupidness" (which ain't even a word, you probably wanted to use "stupidity").

"are based on" does not mean "is now". The other little thing is that name Unix assumes - Unix certification. None of the BSD's are certified Unices, so you can call them "Unix-like" at most. Court case (USL vs BSDi) at the beginning of nineties (which is largely WHY you even have Linux now) made sure BSD code did not contain any copyrighted Unix code (copyrighted code was replaced by CSRG faculty and students before the end of eighties). Without that court case, BSD free derivatives would have slightly earlier start and Torvalds has said if there was free Unix-like OS at the time available for x86, he would not have started writing Linux kernel.

Certified Unices for your general education and to stop you spreading "stupidness" (lol)
      https://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/[/quote]

You said it's not Unix, it's based on Unix source. So what if it's not a certified UNIX, what's your point exactly? Splitting nothing but hairs.

And there, I admit, I did you injustice. I should have made sure in advance. Apologies.
      Yeah, you're pretty much wasting my time (and yours). You're the stereotypical systemd hater, the "power user" that blames his own inability on the software. In essence, you are just repeating the misconceptions of other trolls like yourself.

Comment

What's your point here exactly? Lots of words leading to nothing, Redhat isn't Linux and that's that.
        Red Hat is the company backing systemd development. systemd, which in turn is used in most Linux distros.
        You are doing fair imitation of "dumb and dumber" with your circular evasions.

Sounds like you should blame OpenSUSE for a broken implementation then? These aren't issues in a working Pulseaudio install.
        OpenSUSE ain't Linux all of a sudden?

Hey, google anything and you'll find people having problems with it. What does that prove? Again, nothing.
        Quantitative difference is proof in itself. Net is full of people crying over PulseAudio problems.

Even Poettering himself has cited PulseAudio at one time as software that currently breaks your audio, lol. And you still whine "where is your proof"?

Oh, "ADVANCED"..... Yeah multiple cards and mics are handled automatically, there's no condfig. What sound effects and "shit" are you talking about? That doesn't sound like the job of an audio server. Again there's no point at all to what you're saying.
        Yeah, why do you think audiophiles would go the way of removing PulseAudio and using Alsa/Jack bridge..? Because PulseAudio is so awesome? No because PulseAudio goal is to be default audioserver for desktop and mobile needs. Thats pretty much it. But when you want to remove it on something like Ubuntu it may (at least it used to) break the system itself, made itself irreplaceable in true Lennartware fashion. While it could be technically used for advanced sound, it's pita to set up and it's easier to achieve low latencies on jack.

You said it's not Unix, it's based on Unix source. So what if it's not a certified UNIX, what's your point exactly? Splitting nothing but hairs.
        No, you argued against me saying it's "Unix-like" claiming it is "Unix".

It's not based on Unix source any more than Linux is based on Minix source. Codebase is re-written so many times you won't find single LoC from original Unices.

"Splitting nothing but hairs" coming from a guy who post earlier hurried to point out "Linux is just a kernel".

Truth is, you have no way to argue against most I have said, so you have just gone the way of circular arguments, splitting of hairs and demagogy.

Yeah, you're pretty much wasting my time (and yours). You're the stereotypical systemd hater, the "power user" that blames his own inability on the software. In essence, you are just repeating the misconceptions of other trolls like yourself.
        Nice, sounds like any of the typical demagogues, when arguments end, start throwing insults, labels and call names.. Considering that I am using routinely 2-3 different BSD's (which differ from each other), Windows, dabble in Solaris and time to time use different Linuces, learning intricacies of just ONE piece of Linux operating systems (compared to 4+ operating systems) ain't really a big deal, so your "inability"-claim is worth nothing but good laugh. Maybe it's REALLY a case of seeing it's shortcomings and not liking the piece of software on general principles?

systemd fan club in the other hand really feels like some medieval Jesuit Order - all religious belief, dogma and doctrine - if it's not written by Lennart it must be from the very Devil. Each time Michael has BSD benches up, bunch of Inquisitors storm the BSD section (well, excluding you)
        Last edited by aht0; 21 December 2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Quantitative difference is proof in itself. Net is full of people crying over PulseAudio problems.
          Well in that case I googled "BSD sucks" and "pulseaudio is great", both searches got plenty of hits so I guess I win?

Go troll somewhere else.

Comment

Well in that case I googled "BSD sucks" and "pulseaudio is great", both searches got plenty of hits so I guess I win?

Go troll somewhere else.
            Who is trolling? You keep posting claims without substance. I've put arguments or reasoning after most of what I've written.

"BSD sucks" and "pulseaudio is great" are nothing but subjective opinions. Neither proves or disproves anything besides the simple fact that people have opinions.

Logic chain is simple. You claim that "PulseAudio is great" and "works for you". Well, you are just one person and too little a sample to be credible. And, you are not objective party to top it off, because your goal is to defend Lennarts software in general - seen it enough in this thread. So, I do have a problem. How to verify your claim.

Solution: through my past experience and that of others. I know of my own experiences but I also, am just one person. Could have been exception. Since going from door to door and asking neighbours down the street be silly - I doubt there's but handful of Linux users in the city, not to mention street. So, I use Google. And I do not need more than bunch of posts from people who complain about issues - not opinions, description of issues, they have ran into using PulseAudio. The fact that I can find such posts plenty, itself, disproves your claims about "it just works". End of story.

Comment

I've completely stopped reading ath0's posts. I wish the forum had a block feature.

Hmm, it would be a real shame if someone showed up with a ath1 username like how someone showed up with the xfcedebian username in response to debianxfce........

Comment

Who is trolling? You keep posting claims without substance. I've put arguments or reasoning after most of what I've written.
                You are the very definition of a troll. If you aren't and this is what you call arguments then I feel sorry for you.

"BSD sucks" and "pulseaudio is great" are nothing but subjective opinions. Neither proves or disproves anything besides the simple fact that people have opinions.
                Ah, but when you do the same it's facts? I get it. You're a troll.

Logic chain is simple. You claim that "PulseAudio is great" and "works for you". Well, you are just one person and too little a sample to be credible. And, you are not objective party to top it off, because your goal is to defend Lennarts software in general - seen it enough in this thread. So, I do have a problem. How to verify your claim.
                Actually, you got that wrong. YOU are just one person. Most large distributions have it by default and the majority doesn't have any issues with it. The burden of proof is on you, and so far I can't see that you've presented anything to back your claims. You're quite good at making long posts about absolutely nothing though. Your goal is to attack Lennarts software in general - seen it enough in this thread.

Solution: through my past experience and that of others. I know of my own experiences but I also, am just one person. Could have been exception. Since going from door to door and asking neighbours down the street be silly - I doubt there's but handful of Linux users in the city, not to mention street. So, I use Google. And I do not need more than bunch of posts from people who complain about issues - not opinions, description of issues, they have ran into using PulseAudio. The fact that I can find such posts plenty, itself, disproves your claims about "it just works". End of story.
                Haha, did you just repeat your google search claim? This is hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  I've completely stopped reading ath0's posts. I wish the forum had a block feature.

Hmm, it would be a real shame if someone showed up with a ath1 username like how someone showed up with the xfcedebian username in response to debianxfce........
                  Can't see your problem. You can't even read/write the name properly. '0' is substitute for 'o', it's obviously a name from irl, precise nationalities using such a name I leave for you to figure out. It would make as much sense as trying to copycat J0hn as a J1hn.
                  Last edited by aht0; 29 December 2019, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X