Red Hat Is Still Hiring To Work On The Linux Desktop + Open-Source Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Trolling much? Qt is under LGPL so it's not going anywhere. And you seem to be mixing up copyright assignment (which Qt doesn't require) with contributor agreement. The former is problematic and is not recommended for open source projects.

See details here: https://www.qt.io/legal-contribution-agreement-qt
    Some see a contributor agreement as immoral because it allows the company organising the project to keep their toes dipped in proprietary versions of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Bindings exist for both C++ and Rust for GTK and both are well supported
      Binding only exist for C++ and Rust *because* C is such a clean and useful language.
      Try to create C++ bindings against a Rust library and you will find it much harder. This is entirely the reason why C will outlive both and why Gnome (written in C) is so useful to developers; including those preferring other languages.

No need for a language war I suppose, everything relies on C eventually anyway so there is no real choice.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 06 November 2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Why does every post even slightly mentioning the Linux desktop turn into a desktop environment war?

One would say one of the benefits of FOSS and Linux is the ability to choose whatever you want. But apparently that's not true around these parts...

Comment

GTK itself isn't something I'd recommend using to begin with.
          Bindings for multiple languages is useful for others who might prefer other languages besides C but don't have strong opinions on the toolkit they happen to be using

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Please understand this is about CLAs and Red Hat is NOT going to sign it. So Qt and many other CLA project are off the table.
            Please show where RedHat has a policy against contributor agreements.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Binding only exist for C++ and Rust *because* C is such a clean and useful language.
              Try to create C++ bindings against a Rust library and you will find it much harder. This is entirely the reason why C will outlive both and why Gnome (written in C) is so useful to developers; including those preferring other languages.

No need for a language war I suppose, everything relies on C eventually anyway so there is no real choice.
              I don't disagree with most of that but not everything relies on C. If you write say a library in Rust today, there is no C behind it

Comment

Please show where RedHat has a policy against contributor agreements.
                Red Hat isn't against contributor agreements in general but doesn't contribute to project that require copyright assignment to a commercial entity.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  Red Hat will never sign the Qt CLA. So there’s no way to fix the super botched Qt APIs or the many, many major bugs.

Qt on Linux desktop is the way of the Dodo.
                  Qt seems to work very well for me and have a well designed API. Do you have any examples of how it is botched? Because I can't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Imho the GObject system is pretty ugly, but does make writing bindings for GTK in other languages super duper easy.

Comment

Originally posted by StandaSK View Post
                      Why does every post even slightly mentioning the Linux desktop turn into a desktop environment war?

One would say one of the benefits of FOSS and Linux is the ability to choose whatever you want. But apparently that's not true around these parts...
                      I agree. GNOME was designed by RedHat, some people like it, some do not. It was designed by RedHat to reduce the customer service burden to support it, this means that it hard to configure and has few options since every option is another hit to the profit margin in Red Hats eyes. If it works well for you, great, use it.

I prefer KDE and it is like it is because Red Hat does not use it, I certainly would not want Red Hat to use KDE because they would then mess that up too. There needs to be a selection of environments and to have that different people create different environments based on their needs. KDE is for people that want flexibility rather than designed by a corporation.

Comment

Working...
                      X