X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheepdestroyer
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    sheepdestroyer They are busy working on other parts of GNOME.
    At last! But that took a while. I'm really grateful that they changed their ways and are contributing there now though!

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Building on that, also aren't they the ones with the atitude "is my way or the high way", A.K.A, Not Invented Here (NIH) syndrome, unwilling to adopt other distros solutions and contributing heavily with the fragmentation of the Linux ecosystem?
    Just to be devil's advocate:
    Red Hat has been around for a long time. They control a great deal of what the Linux desktop currently looks like. So, if they're unwilling to adopt other distros' solutions, wouldn't that mean they're trying to prevent fragmentation? I think your point is "there are other solutions which everyone but they will accept" but I don't recall the last time there was ever a universally agreed upon alternative. Whether it be the init system, the default desktop environment, package manager, X11 vs Wayland, etc, every distro has their own way of insisting what they think is the best or should be the default. And when someone's idea gets rejected by their distro of choice, they fork and create a new one. That is what causes fragmentation. You can call Red Hat stubborn, naive, or counter-productive for rejecting what may otherwise be an objectively better approach, but I don't think it is they who can be blamed for fragmentation.
    Canonical on the other hand....

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Building on that, also aren't they the ones with the atitude "is my way or the high way", A.K.A, Not Invented Here (NIH) syndrome, unwilling to adopt other distros solutions and contributing heavily with the fragmentation of the Linux ecosystem?
    If you mean other distros solutions with a giant CLA attached to them, no.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    No Redhat no desktop. People need to remember this.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by sturmen View Post
    I think there's two points here:
    1. A personal appeal from the one guy himself... it's hard to argue that he wouldn't know best, and perhaps we should take this as him signaling that he's forming his own future career plans that don't include libinput.
    2. Whoever that replacement may be, they would greatly benefit from ramping up with a knowledgeable mentor rather than being in the dreaded state many companies find themselves in: "Hey yeah this ultra important system had 1 guy on it, and then he quit. All that's left is his code and his documentation. Good luck!" Even with world-class documentation, this is not an enviable position.
    Both are very good points. But, I guess what I'm getting at is if in an emergency someone had to take his place, libinput is already in good shape, and it isn't the most complex system in Linux. Whoever his successor is will likely have had a decent amount of experience with either X or Wayland, and should be capable of solving any future problems regardless of mentoring. You/he are not wrong that someone should be trained, but, I don't think we're going to have any major struggles should he suddenly be unavailable.

To put it in another perspective, AMD's GPU drivers are incredibly complex, yet, 3rd party companies like Valve and Google have managed to make adjustments of their own, and I'm not sure how much help they got from AMD. Their contributions weren't small either.

Leave a comment:

• sturmen
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    He seems to be doing a good job, and if anything does happen to him, I'm sure Red Hat can find a replacement. libinput isn't as huge, ambitious, and failure-prone as most other projects we regularly hear about, so I could see how 1 guy would be enough, especially since I don't think there's much of a todo list left over (is there even one?)
    I think there's two points here:
    1. A personal appeal from the one guy himself... it's hard to argue that he wouldn't know best, and perhaps we should take this as him signaling that he's forming his own future career plans that don't include libinput.
    2. Whoever that replacement may be, they would greatly benefit from ramping up with a knowledgeable mentor rather than being in the dreaded state many companies find themselves in: "Hey yeah this ultra important system had 1 guy on it, and then he quit. All that's left is his code and his documentation. Good luck!" Even with world-class documentation, this is not an enviable position.

Leave a comment:

• radamant
    replied
    Ah, so this is why you still can't disable mouse acceleration in a sane way outside of gnome. Makes sense now.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
    Sooooo, where are the Canonical devs? Maybe planing to work on their own incompatible input system instead? For a distro that likes to think of itself as the king of linux desktops, they sure like to piggy back a lot on Redhat's efforts (like everybody else though).
    trying to develop and push proprietary software, aka snap, to increase their value so they can go public or get bought out.

Leave a comment:

• sheepdestroyer
    replied
    Sooooo, where are the Canonical devs? Maybe planing to work on their own incompatible input system instead? For a distro that likes to think of itself as the king of linux desktops, they sure like to piggy back a lot on Redhat's efforts (like everybody else though).

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Not a problem, it cuts back on a lot of going back and forth.
    Many successful initiatives are the brain child of a single person: bittorrent, git, systemd, pulseaudio, even wayland or the implementation of quake on iOS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X