X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    You better read the OIN license again. The very first section is plainly obvious....
    you better learn that you trying to play lawyer on tv is looking silly, leave it to real lawyers who are advising many of licensees

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    https://www.openinventionnetwork.com/about-us/members/
    Seems like a who's who list EEE fanatics to me.....
    lol, that's a list of sponsors. list of licensees is here https://www.openinventionnetwork.com...-of-licensees/
    And then there's this, which starts off in section 1.1 with obvious requirement for GPL violations and it goes on and gets worse....
    moron, it has nothing to do with gpl, gpl works under copyright law, patents work under patent law. and btw, don't you see that currently without oin gpl can't work at all because there is no exfat in kernel?
    Last edited by pal666; 30 August 2019, 04:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    oin doesn't require you to accept copyleft infringement
    You better read the OIN license again. The very first section is plainly obvious....

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Obviously because of the copyleft infringement the oin -REQUIRES YOU TO ACCEPT-.
    oin doesn't require you to accept copyleft infringement

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
    Do you have fast startup enabled in Windows?
    No, I don't. I know it prevents writing.

However, maybe since I am using Boot Camp, the Windows partition almost always is read-only.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    and that is bad because? i like your typo btw
    Obviously because of the copyleft infringement the oin -REQUIRES YOU TO ACCEPT-.

EDIT: https://jacobinmag.com/2018/06/githu...ode-technology
    Great article, though not directly related, it certainly showcases intentions. Let me just remind everyone why MS bought github. It was for the express purpose of consolidating code that -could- be shared under -their- control. Everyone thinks Nadells somehow has a different philosophy, but lets not forget these same tactics have been used across many different scenarios and the OIN is only one part of that. -EVERYTHING- she has done has been to bring control of as much OSS software under MS as she possibly can.
    Last edited by duby229; 30 August 2019, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    what cost of joining? miriad of linux distros are oin licensees. gnome/alsa/gnucash can join, but somehow debian and arch can't?

but i can google it for you: HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
    duby229
    isn't it clear how dumb you are now?
    Insights & Reflections Freedom to participate in open source projects and adopt Linux and other open source code has been enabled through broad based participation in the OIN cross-license, which has become a litmus test for authenticity in the open source community. Joining the OIN community demonstrates an explicit recognition among signatories of a

Seems like a who's who list EEE fanatics to me.....

And then there's this, which starts off in section 1.1 with obvious requirement for GPL violations and it goes on and gets worse.... The bottom line fact is that this license is only valid concerning the use of the linux kernel and the linux kernel itself is GPL licensed, which violates the -copyleft-

If you actually read what the OIN is, it's plainly obviously an attempt to bypass the GPL's copyleft.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
    People pay for a O365 subscription ONLY to use one Office app (like Word or Excel).
    Said who? What people? Home users? Corporate users? Which app? etc.

The change you're suggesting would negatively impact their sales
    Why so? See paragraph about OOXML below. Document format doesn't matter anymore.

and provide no real benefit except making it easier for people to NOT use Word.....
    It's easy to not use Word right now. Just download OnlyOffice and you get even better compatibility than with MSO.

Also how in the world is this related to EEE?
    For example they created OOXML document format that supposed to have open specification ("embrace" open document formats) however this "standard" have strict and transitional variants. Transitional variant is "extend". In practice Microsoft shot in the own foot because this transitional variant of specification is such a mess that they even fail to deliver compatibility between different releases of MSO. By making MSO rolling release (Office365) they get rid of "releases" as everyone (Office365 users) always run latest version, so format compatibility shouldn't be issue. Not sure how this will work out and if we will see "extinguish" part of EEE in the future, but OOXML was definitely an attempt to perform EEE, at least when OOXML was started.

Leave a comment:

• LinAGKar
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

This, and especially ext4 (or even XFS as I work with it in my external hard drives). I would like to access my Linux partition from Windows because every time I try to access my Windows partition from Linux to copy some stuff, I seem unable to override the read protection.
    Do you have fast startup enabled in Windows?

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

We could work around this by assigning user/group IDs from the parent to new files. Example:

- /home/share (owned by share)
    -- file1 (owned by share)
    -- file2 (new, owned by share)
    -- dir1 (owned by root)
    --- file3 (new, owned by root)
    Why isn't that even an option on Linux then? One of my gripes with linux filesystems is the permissions for portable/shareable media/partitions. If I create an extra partition for storing data during a GUI distro install, iirc it often did so that the partition was owned by root rather than the additional user an installer has you setup(even when you toggle the password to be the same for both).

I know I can go to a terminal and enter some commands to fix that, but it's definitely been a frustration that new users run into too. On an external, you've got to hope that the other system has the same uid/gid in use, similar issue can be run into with Docker(and I guess VMs with host mounted/shared data). On an internal disk I think you can share between users with a group or ACLs, but that's additional work.

I recall in 2016 trying to use Docker with a USB device(some IoT interface/protocol), the default UID/GID for such devices varied a fair bit across popular distros, so the docker image wasn't all that portable(I think they've addressed such since, or there are workarounds now). I have noticed it in recent Docker services on a server that have different UID/GID values for data they try manage compared to the host filesystem or other containers.

But mostly, the frustration is with portable media, since it should just be quick and easy to transfer some data to hand over to someone else and not think about it. exFAT is pretty much best for that(slight compatibility issues aside with linux/mac).

Found my github issue that shows how the UID/GID can vary among distros for things:
    how does one use the GPIO mounted z-way wave daughterboard with this? This works normally like a serial port /dev/ttyAMA0 with openhab 1.8 one has to add -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyAMA0 \ an...

I've done some research and most commonly dialout has a gid of 20 and uucp a gid of 14.
    • Debian and deriviatives such as Ubuntu - dialout:20, uucp:10 - ref
    • Arch - no dialout, uucp:14 - ref
    • Alpine - dialout:20, uucp:14
    • RedHat: no dialout, uucp:14 ref
    • Linux From Scratch: dialout:10, uucp:32 ref
    • openSUSE: dialout:16, uucp:14
    So your user id has to belong to the correct group id(which may vary what that actually maps to). Similar issue with root I think can happen. If the user isn't in the group, you have to sort that out each time for each machine, even though that may place a user in a group that it perhaps shouldn't be in on your system.. There should be a way to just mount and ignore permissions, UDF does this by default iirc(you have to explicitly use uid/gid mount options for the permissions feature), but UDF is not as cross-platform as it might seem, various compatibility issues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X