Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merging exFAT Support For Linux Is Being Talked About - Waiting On Microsoft's Blessing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging exFAT Support For Linux Is Being Talked About - Waiting On Microsoft's Blessing

Phoronix: Merging exFAT Support For Linux Is Being Talked About - Waiting On Microsoft's Blessing

Microsoft's exFAT file-system is more than one decade old and while there has been out-of-tree efforts, the mainline Linux kernel as of yet does not support the file-system even with it appearing on more SD cards and other devices. But there is now a renewed effort to get an exFAT driver into the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just to note: Samsung didn't open source the exFat Linux driver - they leaked it.

I still wonder: reverse engineering exFat is an order of magnitude easier than e.g. doing that for NTFS. Why no one has done that yet? AFAIK/IANAL the US has the laws which allow that if your goal is interoperability.
    Last edited by birdie; 10 July 2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Just to note: Samsung didn't open source the exFat Linux driver - they leaked it.

I still wonder: reverse engineering exFat is an order of magnitude easier than e.g. doing that for NTFS. Why no one has done that yet? AFAIK/IANAL the US has the laws which allow that if your goal is interoperability.
      Because exFAT is much less used? NTFS is used by every Windows user, most systems will never ever see a exFAT storage device.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

Because exFAT is much less used? NTFS is used by every Windows user, most systems will never ever see a exFAT storage device.
        Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the DSLR companies and many prosumer video camera companies license exFAT for writing to flash media?

Unless they plug the camera in every time, many may pull the media out to transload.

Comment

exFAT is a requirement of the SDXC standard, or something along those lines. SD cards over a certain size are supposed to ship formatted with an exFAT filesystem.

Comment

Most (if I'm not mistaken) modern SD cards/USB sticks are formatted using exFAT.

Comment

Aren't a lot of Android devices using exFat for the SD card ?

Comment

It has been done. You can install it, it's called fuse-exfat, it's just not inside the kernel, but a user-space implementation.

Comment

Well thought about the patents being released after joining OIN, hoping that "blessing" moves along.

Comment

Samsung open-sourced the leaked code afterwards. The issue are patents, which are not affected whether you reverse engineered code.

Comment

Working...
                    X