KDE Is Looking For Ideas On New Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

They actually have put up with nivida lately. They merged a couple of rendering patches for AMD and Nvidia GPUs, and added Nvidia EGL Streams Wayland support.
    They always said that if NV wants to go their own snowflakey way, they should provide the necessary code themselfs (absolutely right imho)...and those pull requests came from NV as far as i understand? ^^

Comment

I would REALLY like a KDE equivalent to Arc Menu. My #1 complaint with KDE is having 4 kinds of Application menus and feeling like each one isn't what I want.

This is the closest to the Windows 7 menu, and I want a official version.

Also, I would like for developers to being to think of development as a cyclical 2 state process: Expand, and Contract.

Expanding is creating new features, and achivements
      Contracting is bug fixing, polishing, quality control, etc...

Also I would really like a official HUD like Plotinus that integrates with as many apps as possible

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        Polish, and a lot of it.

Whilst Nautilus is dwarfed compared to Dolphin in terms of functionality, Nautilus does look much more polished, it doesn't look like a bunch of widgets added to a canvas.
        I disagree, I dont want some crazed designers idea of what a UI should be. I want to customize it myself. So, how about some customizability for a change?

Comment

Well right now I think they need to focus on polishing up their Wayland support. The last time I tried it, it was extremely unstable, and lacked features such as the app previews on the task manager. Of course I haven't tried their Wayland mode in a while because I don't want to screw up my profile.

Comment

Port Plasma to Rust and GTK.

(that's a joke)

ElectricPrism

That's the Application Menu and it's somewhere between XP and 7 to use Windows launchers as a comparison. Outside of the folder shortcuts, it pretty much does what ArcMenu does from what I can tell in the screenshot. A few buttons are in different places, but that's about it. If they merged parts of their Application Launcher with their Application Menu it would solve your needs and mine that I have below.

MY IDEAS

If they could take the "Computer" section of the Application Launcher and put a condensed version of it between the shortcuts and the "Applications" section above, while it would be reversed in looks of the ArcMenu suggestion above, it would be perfect for me. IMHO, search bars and application menus that can dynamically change or expand should be on the outer tile and not the inner. The inner tile should be reserved for "Places" shortcuts (part of Dolphin), startup/shutdown/logins/suspend/etc, settings shortcuts, and other things that are pretty static.

On the default Application Menu, it would be really nice if I could change the "Power / Session" expansion menu into a line of clickable icons. Takes the usability from click, move mouse, wait a half second, move mouse, click to click, move mouse, click. 5 steps to 3...and it jives with the idea above.

Drop Yakuake and a drop down mode to Konsole. Or drop Konsole and switch to Yakuake by default. Honestly, I don't care which, I'd just like the default KDE terminal to support drop down (with F12 by default because that's what I've used for 10+ years now).

Instructions on how to edit the KDE code to add in better help with the KWin Help Arrow. That help arrow sucks, but I'd be willing to learn enough to put better help messages in programs. Given the options, I'd rather step up and try to do something about it than have it be lost and dropped.

Comment

They should make a DE that could be beautiful. I never ever found a beautiful KDE setup. No matter what I do, it's unpolished.

Comment

If I would suggest things, it will be, in the most to least important:

1- Only jump to Qt6 for at last half a decade after its release;

2- Finish Wayland integration;

3- Change the default start menu for the simplified one, so people can stop winning about KDE being bloated.

Comment

Polish, bugfixes, dotting i's and crossing t's.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    I'd settle for an out-of-the-box install that doesn't look like complete ass. As much as I admire the KDE devs and their positions on many things like not putting up with Nvidia's crap, installing KDE on Arch has always left me with a horrible desktop. I know a lot of people favour functionality over appearance, and I respect that, but I like a nice looking DE, and Gnome gives me that, KDE doesn't. Settings menus with large blocks of grey space really don't appeal to me.
                    This is why I use GNOME as I want the kind of polish. Come to think of it, have you tried Deepin desktop environment? I like desktop environments that provide different experiences as it's nice to get away from the Windows-look.

For me, the GNOME experience with extensions that disable top-left hot corner and provide a docker (Dash-to-Dock) that is hidden is exactly what I want. I have Nautilus as the first application, Firefox for the second, and GNOME Terminal for the third (better terminal compared to 3.30 and earlier versions). To launch Firefox, I simply press Meta+2 and to launch the terminal, I do Meta+3.

Comment

Small but annoying: allow specifying non-default options for mounted devices such as USB drives. I want noatime, and I don't want VFAT filesystems mounting everything upper case.

Comment

Working...
                      X