Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 To Offer Faster I/O Performance, Native Docker Containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankL View Post
    "based on a linux kernel" doesn't make sense, unless they mean ABI compatibility.

And why call it WSL '2' ?
    They'll include a full-fledged (if custom built) Linux kernel in its own right.
    And it's WSL 2 exactly because they've replaced the old emulation layer with a proper kernel.

Comment

A niche submarket for WSL is beginning to bloom.

You've been able to run many Linux distros on Windows thanks to WSL for years. Now, there's a Linux distro built to work hand-in-glove with WSL.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

https://www.zdnet.com/article/pengwi...tem-for-linux/
        Opened the page, and closed some seconds later. Jesus, it's one of those sites, with autoplaying videos and stuff…

Comment

Kernel 4.19 is really nice for this. I would hope that since it's LTS, they will track upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
            Opened the page, and closed some seconds later. Jesus, it's one of those sites, with autoplaying videos and stuff…
            Then try the site of the product instead.

Whitewater Foundry is the home of Pengwin, the premiere Linux environment for Windows, and provides hybrid enterprise consulting services.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

https://www.zdnet.com/article/pengwi...tem-for-linux/
              Good, its about time someone else pushed out EL/Fedora to WSL since RH refused to do so.

Comment

this is really good. Im stuck on windows since I gave up on nvidia and battery life and some compatibility with Linux on my laptop. been happy with wls to compile and do work. Docker is so welcome on wsl.
                Last edited by JeansenVaars; 06 May 2019, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Never used containers. Could I use that for crosscompiling my C++/sdl/OpenGL app for Linux and Mac?

Comment

Originally posted by mike456 View Post
                    Never used containers. Could I use that for crosscompiling my C++/sdl/OpenGL app for Linux and Mac?
                    Building for Linux in a linux image docker container is like building on native. Building for mac without a mac is always levels of headaches.

I do suspect Microsoft will still be missing proper X11/wayland support so you will not be able to run a full test suite against you opengl application for Linux.

Comment

They could have called it Windows Virtual PC 10.

Comment

Working...
                      X