Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian's New Project Leader Hits The Ground Running With Ideas

Phoronix: Debian's New Project Leader Hits The Ground Running With Ideas

Sam Hartman, Debian's new Project Leader, has issued his first (partial) monthly report with his initial activities serving in the "DPL" role...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian should already introduce a normal Web frontend for their bugtracker. Current bugtracker is atrocious and is very annoying to use. If someone prefers e-mail workflow - there is no need to remove that. Just integrate both e-mail and Web frontends. But I personally find requirement to use e-mail to submit and update bugs very cumbersome and simply not up with the times. It's like some relic from FidoNet times.
    Last edited by shmerl; 30 April 2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Periodic community meetings, which will begin with a "DPL ask anything meeting" starting in May.
      Ask anything? Sure. Why does the Anti-Harassment team page have a link to the Geek Feminism wiki? Why is reverse discrimination taking over the world?!

Comment

TL;DR: Moving the packages to Microsoft, err... GitHub, and asking to get paid for work.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
          TL;DR: Moving the packages to Microsoft, err... GitHub, and asking to get paid for work.

They said to Git, not Github. Salsa is using Gitlab source as a base as far as I know: https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa
          So nothing to do with Github.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            They said to Git, not Github. Salsa is using Gitlab source as a base as far as I know: https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa
            So nothing to do with Github.
            Why do you ruin my joke?

Comment

I know for certain that Google uses Debian as their internal distro for linux developers (it's called gLinux internally), maybe it's time to ask them to contribute more actively to Debian itself?

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                I know for certain that Google uses Debian as their internal distro for linux developers (it's called gLinux internally), maybe it's time to ask them to contribute more actively to Debian itself?
                Google has an odd way of looking at many of their open source projects. Chrome and chromium, for instance, are a mashup of open source code strewn through with proprietary licensed bits from other projects. You would think Google had determined they needed to make a big licensing mish-mash in order to get a working browser.

And yet, the ungoogled-chromium project strips out all the non-free licensed bits and you still end up with a nice browser that works perfectly well. So the licensing mashup that Google is putting out is basically unnecessary, yet they do it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Ask anything? Sure. Why does the Anti-Harassment team page have a link to the Geek Feminism wiki? Why is reverse discrimination taking over the world?!
                  Because of people like you.

Originally posted by sdack
                  Why do you ruin my joke?
                  Because it has no basis in reality and was DOA.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    DPL just scratches the surface with: "
                    I found myself talking about two topics repeatedly. The first was the Systemd transition. People were still confused about the difference between Systemd being the default for Linux-based Debian architectures and it being the only init system. The second was the confusion about why this issue was so emotionally intense for us" Debian should drop all badly designed IBM software and the "stable" distribution to use resources better. Debian should use latest mainline kernels and Mesa and LLVM dev git to get bug fixes and new features fast.
                    Propose it to the new DPL can get back to us with an exact quote of their reply. Even better, an online reference that we can all look up and read for ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X