Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenXR 0.90 Released For AR/VR Standard - Monado Is An Open-Source Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenXR 0.90 Released For AR/VR Standard - Monado Is An Open-Source Implementation

Phoronix: OpenXR 0.90 Released For AR/VR Standard - Monado Is An Open-Source Implementation

Last year we were expecting The Khronos Group to introduce OpenXR 1.0 for this standard to address fragmentation and provide interoperability in the VR space followed by AR. That debut last year didn't happen although they did show off the first demonstration at SIGGRAPH. This week though at GDC they are announcing the OpenXR 0.90 provisional specification release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! Now we only need positioning algorithms support in OpenHMD...

Comment

Khronos has been killing it with all of these standards!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Nice! Now we only need positioning algorithms support in OpenHMD...
        Oh dang..... didnt know position is still an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

Oh dang..... didnt know position is still an issue.
          It seems to be the worst issue, since those algorithms are very hard to implement. Valve could be a good sponsor for this, at least for their "official" headsets. But they don't seem to be interested.

Comment

See "Position" in this table: http://www.openhmd.net/index.php/devices/

It's a glaring "No, No, No..."

Comment

Well, hard is relative. It certainly requires a lot of specific OpenCV knowledge to do it from scratch.

Pete has been working on tracking the PSVR with OpenCV I believe: https://twitter.com/beVR_nz/status/1072682961324163072. He's working for Collabora now.

Then I've pushed a monado branch with libsurvive for the Vive's lighthouse tracking. libsurvive is based on work by OpenHMD and Collabora and they got it working almost okay. Here's a short demo video I made today but I don't really have enough space to really use positional tracking at the moment...
              with experimental libsurvive branch for positional trackinghttps://gitlab.freedesktop.org/monado/monado/tree/experimental/libsurvive

Anyway, I'd say that's pretty good for a full open source XR stack from the kernel over the GPU driver and the game engine to the HMD driver.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                Anyway, I'd say that's pretty good for a full open source XR stack from the kernel over the GPU driver and the game engine to the HMD driver.
                Sounds good indeed. May be updating the table is a good idea to reflect more up to date developments?

Comment

> monado

IT'S REYN TIME!!!

(sorry couldn't help it)

Comment

Cool, Looking Forward to use my Samsung Odyssey on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X