Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Pulled In $110 Million, Down To ~440 Employees During Their Last Fiscal Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Isn't that a tragedy. Thanks to his wealth Shuttleworth pays for the development of an OS distro out of his own pocket, that you can use and only pay for if you want to, otherwise he gives it to you for free without basically asking for anything in return. God forbid this goes on!
    I am more prone to think that biggest part of Canonical employees is composed by administrative, helpdesk and marketing. By the way as of August 31, 2018 Red Hat had approximately 12,600 employees worldwide. For me isn't a tragedy at all however there are other distros given for free where the leaders (if those have actually leaders) do not spend their vacations aboard of a mega yacht.

Let see the immense contribute of Canonical to the open source:
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_(company)

And please don't forget about Ambiance and Radiance.

The reasons behind the successful of Ubuntu aren't technical it is just damn good marketing and pr.

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    He deserves it more than the Red Hat shitters.
    I divide good from bad, hence good are: Debian; Arch; Gentoo; Slackware, etc... While bad are: Ubun

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Gnome developers are hippies or let me correct you for just a moment, just plain idiots, when it comes to usability too.
      Exactly and advanced gnome3 users tweak their desktop to look and feel like Xfce.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vLyATrgFcw

Gnome3 developers focus on keyboard usage with a graphical desktop and there is no easy way to create desktop launchers. Sick. The gnome-tweak-tool is not built in and you need that for 4K monitors. No way to install it because you do not see anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Before trolling you may perhaps read more about what a CLA means and especially what it does not mean.
        cla means what is written in that cla, now i'm waiting for your example of evil redhat cla

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          so nothing useful

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            so nothing useful
            Not exactly but something useful just for Canonical while Gnome (and the Gnome stack), which is mostly founded by Red Hat, was been and is again the main Desktop of the official Ubuntu release. Probably just upstart (it was been used for a while in RHEL and Fedora) and Launchpad are the other most used software beside Ubuntu. By the way too little for a company with big and bold ambitions.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              cla means what is written in that cla, now i'm waiting for your example of evil redhat cla
              There is no evil Red Hat CLA that I know of because a CLA by itself is not evil. The FSF has a CLA. So does Canonical, Apache, KDE and a zillion other organisations. What a CLA means is that if you have a patch and *IF YOU CHOOSE* to have it merged upstream, then you assign your copyright over it to the upstream. If you don't want to do that, fine, you can ust distribute your modified version yourself (this is for example what all distros do with the Linux kernel). What a CLA does NOT do is somehow override or restrict the software's open source licence. So now can we know what specifically is "evil" about it?

Comment

And people still continue to use Ubuntu to make Shuttleworth even more rich...
                Thank you identifying yourself as dumb bimbo

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
                  Thank you identifying yourself as dumb bimbo
                  If supporting just distros created and cared by true communities of volunteers in theirs spare time means being a "dumb bimbo" I will love to be it forever whereas you hold yourself among the smart guys while Mark takes a trip on the space or a vacation on his yacht.

Comment

I am more prone to think that biggest part of Canonical employees is composed by administrative, helpdesk and marketing. By the way as of August 31, 2018 Red Hat had approximately 12,600 employees worldwide. For me isn't a tragedy at all however there are other distros given for free where the leaders (if those have actually leaders) do not spend their vacations aboard of a mega yacht.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_(company)

And please don't forget about Ambiance and Radiance.

The reasons behind the successful of Ubuntu aren't technical it is just damn good marketing and pr.

I divide good from bad, hence good are: Debian; Arch; Gentoo; Slackware, etc... While bad are: Ubun
                    not sorry but I think the success behind ubuntu and also technical and not just marketing
                    cordially

Comment

Working...
                    X