An article about Debian vs Devuan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An article about Debian vs Devuan?

I am the first against systemd however it is really elegant when you have to create a service and everything is neat and clear. Now it would be interesting to see if actually Debian runs better with systemd or with sysvinit (Devuan). What do you think about it?

systemd is not my choice if running on a spinning disk, because it loads everything at once and as such strains the disk (unless the elevator can manage it well, which doesn't seem to be the case because in this laptop it takes like 45 seconds to reach SDDM).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Debian advertises itself as universal operating system. Systemd is for servers, not for desktop or embedded systems with old kernels. Debian has support for sysvinit services and having two systems is stupid. Systemd service init order does work as documented. Having many services is as mess that nobody have control anymore. Debian should drop buggy redhat software; gnome3, wayland, pulseaudio,systemd, networkmanager etc. Following redhat is stupid.
      Or you can use Devuan, perhaps you already did it.

Comment

So far I see Devuan now pairs all the development branches of Debian:
        Jessie Oldstable 10464 Jessie
        ASCII Stable 3568 Stretch
        Beowulf In development 38086 Buster
        Ceres Unstable 1 Sid

Comment

Devuan is not a rolling release OS and rolling release software is modern computing. It was easy to disable systemd and use sysvinit two years ago. Desktops have bindings to systemd now and only non GUI use works without patching.
          Debian Testing/Sid isn't a rolling release OS either. It looks like one, but I repeat, it's testing/unstable.

No information if Oibaf ppa works with Ceres available.
          Ubuntu PPA's aren't supposed to work with Debian.

Furthermore, why not experiment? If there is no information, you can be the first one to provide it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Ubuntu PPA's aren't supposed to work with Debian.
            Unfortunately the PPA is another non-sense grabbed from Ubuntu...
            By the way the topic was about the chance to see if actually Debian performs better with systemd rather than sysvinit, however since the moment that Debian lost is leadership in the web server market I understand that speaking about Debian is not more fascinating as before...

Comment

Debian Testing/Sid are rolling release OS, see https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian
              It is a theoretical "rolling release" distro, but nothing is tested for breakage.

They are more stable than Debian stable that breaks with testing and sid packages. Debian stable has years old buggy software too.
              ...what?
              Why in the world would you combine packages from testing/unstable with stable? That obviously won't work...

And if you want a stable rolling-release distro, try Arch Linux (or if you don't want systemd, Artix Linux). There is XFCE, the Whisker menu, and even a Oibaf-like Mesa from Git repo:
              Code:
              [mesa-git]
              Server = https://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/$repo/$arch
              The only problem is that Chromium is built to use PulseAudio... (however, you can have it in your system but not use it... hope that's ok with you)

Ubuntu is made from Debian Sid so it has compatibly. Debian supports ppas, see method B: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/10/how-t...ebian-via.html
              It may be compatible, but that is by pure luck. Ubuntu sometimes changes libraries by their own versions.

Comment

Debian testing is tested in Sid. Only some not so popular qt applications like Qasmixer can break in Debian Sid because there are so many qt packages. In a week or two they have all the qt packages updated. You have not used Debian testing/sid so stop trolling.
                It is not tested as deeply as Arch Linux.

You are joking, Arch Linux is a theoretical "rolling release" distro, but nothing is tested for breakage. Arch Linux is not supported by any Steam games, you must update it frequently and Arch Linux users have more problems with games than Debian users. Debian is the only distribution with zynaddsubfx-dssi and fluidsynth-dssi software synths for Rosegarden. Mesa git in Arch Linux is weeks older than Oibaf ppa that is updated every day.

You might know Steam OS, it is made from Debian like Ubuntu.
                You are joking, Arch Linux is a true "rolling-release" distro because it was planned like one from the very start. Wow, that copy-pasting...

Arch Linux supports Steam and even has it on its official repository.
                You forgot you must update Debian testing/Sid often too.
                Arch Linux users have "more" problems because they have a much larger userbase than Debian testing/Sid. And most of these problems can be fixed/worked around: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...roubleshooting

This AUR package for ZynAddSubFX supports DSSI: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/zynaddsubfx-git
                I will make one for FluidSynth if you join the party, but I already know you won't let your Debian down...
                ​​​​​​
                If mesa-git being outdated is the case, there is the AUR package... You can let it compile while you're free or sleeping.

Over 95% of Ubuntu packages are from Debian directly, for example Mesa.

version: 18.2.6-1ubuntu3
                OK, look. Can't you see the "ubuntu" prefix? Ubuntu tends to apply patches over upstream, which sometimes may render them incompatible with Debian.

An AMD Mesa developer is using Debian testing. tildearrow, use You too and stop trolling:
                https://github.com/freedesktop/xorg-...1e2ac7e9327a6e
                Well, at least he is not using your Ubuntu PPA on Debian or your 1000Hz-non-debug™ kernel (he needs debug being a developer).

Yeah, then this means everyone but you is trolling. Maybe I need to talk in reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce
                  Not true because Ubuntu and other Debian derivatives have larger users space than Arch Linux. Steam games are for ubuntu and steamos mostly. Both are based to Debian. Here is a proof: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/users/statistics
                  You are combining Debian derivatives statistics, but I said Debian testing/Sid only vs. Arch Linux.

Tildearrow gave us non bootable efi disk copy instructions, so do not believe what he writes:
                  https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...ne-a-gpt-drive
                  I deleted the post and acknowledge I made a major blunder. I am deeply sorry for the mistake.

No, you know what? Do not believe anything I write from this point onward. I serve no purpose on this forum and as such I better stop existing. Right?!

Do not believe my HiDPI gripe with Gwenview.
                  Do not believe in my bug reports in OpenRazer.
                  Do not believe in the Mixxx major lag under macOS bug reports I made ~1 year ago.
                  Do not believe in my mixxx-qt5 package that was available when the Arch Linux team didn't upgrade their package to Qt 5; or any other packages I submit.

If software is buggy and I feel like reporting the bugs, I am useless to doing so.

Michael also please stop believing my typo reports because they make no sense and contribute nothing to this forum.

But pretty much the same way you tell everyone to use your distro and people who have tried, have rendered their systems "useless" because they all get stuck on black screens.

Debian testing/sid is better than Arch Linux. I stop here.
                  OK, we can't do anything then. I must stop here as well. Good night (sort of).

P. S. Wait...! So I just read some of your posts and now that I see you wanted to clone a GPT disk into a MBR one... What I thought was that you wanted to clone GPT to GPT... You are in fault because you didn't tell us that... The dd method of course wouldn't have worked... but pointless to talk since you won't believe anyway
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 05 January 2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Debian Testing/Sid are rolling release OS, see https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian
                    They are more stable than Debian stable that breaks with testing and sid packages. Debian stable has years old buggy software too.
                    Ubuntu is made from Debian Sid so it has compatibly. Debian supports ppas, see method B: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/10/how-t...ebian-via.html
                    "Stable" and "Sid" are pretty much different versions of the Debian and have to be treated as such. Mixing the package repos of two different versions of any distro is just guaranteed fail. It's like trying to use OpenSUSE 13.1 packages on a latest "Leap". Get it?
                    How the fuck can it be you ignore such a basic concept and even complain about this mix-up failing on you and treat it as a proof that "stable just sucks"..??? Got a good laugh out of it.

Drink coffee and sleep better. The topic of my question was: Hot to clone a gpt drive? (note the typo). Then the first sentence: I want to clone my current 256GB sata drive to my new 256GB nvme drive. How to do it when the disk has the gpt?
                    I ended using MBR because your instruction failed and there is no clear instructions in the internet. One site recommend using MBR if you want to clone disks often and that Linux users do.
                    You should be able to clone GPT drive using basic dd utility, provided that target drive is exactly the same size sector-wise. Larger target drive could work too - remember secondary GPT header gets written in the end of the drive - you'll have to do some manual cli work there adjusting for size difference. I also suggest you overwrite both ends of the space on target drive over with zeroes before cloning attempt itself, using that same dd. When target drive/partition is smaller than source you will have the cloning fail. In this case you would need specialized cloning software able to resize the partitions (generally forget it for Linux partitions, MAYBE (haven't used it for ages) CloneZilla would work though).

I don't know if Linux dd has the progress flag available to it or no. FreeBSD has, I suggest you use that flag if Linux's dd has one too. Cloning by dd is going to take hours, it's good for tracking the progress.
                    Last edited by aht0; 05 January 2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X