Microsoft Joins Open Invention Network With Its 60,000+ Patents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    I know it's an old post, but it looks like the confusion persisted. If eject/umount says "target is busy" it actually means that some application still has a file from that device open.
    I'm aware of that, it has been some time so I may not remember it correctly. But I do remember across various systems, USBs and distros/DE experiencing the extremely slow transfers of large files, far longer than they should have been, and as stated resolvable with some tweaks.

This can be further confirmed by a blinking light on USB sticks that had it still blinking(which afaik is not related to any handle but actual I/O activity) and that if such a device was force removed(either via software or physically pulling it out), that remounting that USB the data file that was claimed transferred had in fact not finished and the data was incomplete/corrupt. I think I did this with a video file once that was around 1GB and after 2 hours or so transferring I had to go, so I pulled it out since it wouldn't eject, remounted to check it and the video was working for a bit then blank/broken iirc(but prior to ejecting, that same file on the USB mounted volume could be opened and played/scrubbed anywhere fine, because it was not being read from the media itself but most likely the RAM buffer that was still doing the transfer). I did the copy again and I think returned 7 hours later with it still going for a bit before finishing, and from there being fine. Same file transferred on Windows though to the same USB stick would be considerably faster than that duration and work fine, same with the Linux kernel tweaks to vm params.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      60,000+ ??
      WTF, they patented water, air or what?
      Or it's another display of american patent system failure?
      why so surprise?

Samsung alone has 1.3 million patents at the moment and the number increases by thousands every year. Several years ago Google bought Motorola also because tens of thousands of its patents can help protect Android. There are so many examples about merges or exchanges of patents like that

The seven-year dispute between Apple and Samsung is emblematic of a world where patents are valued as a currency that can be sold or traded

Comment

Working...
      X