Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Still Doesn't Trust Linux GPU Drivers Enough To Enable Chrome Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They could merge the patches and leave it disabled as default, I think most of us did that for their general renderer anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

With that mindset linux will still be shit, the problem is elsewhere

One new distro per day, and yet nothing is usable

On other hand Chrome OS is smooth as fuck, maybe the problem is these distro makers "hey i wanna create my own OS because i'm haxor, go download it, it's called Ultimate Linux OS"
      I can't help Google being evil. You have a whole host of perfectly usable distro's, creating a healthy enviroment of internal competition. Most new users find their way to user-friendly distros like Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, AddyourownfavoritedistroOS, etc...
      Why in God's name would anyone seriously use a handicapped version of Gentoo unless you're a basic computer user with no privacy needs?

Comment

Meanwhile, it just works in mpv. I suppose the issue is once again that Linux users aren't 1st class citizens...

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

With that mindset linux will still be shit, the problem is elsewhere

One new distro per day, and yet nothing is usable

On other hand Chrome OS is smooth as fuck, maybe the problem is these distro makers "hey i wanna create my own OS because i'm haxor, go download it, it's called Ultimate Linux OS"
          The day of ubuntu reskin distros popping all over the place are over since a long while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
            OK so in a community where I expect people to be capable to think rationally, my personal advice to Google is to invest more resources in these drivers when they don't consider them to be reliable for video acceleration.
            They don't have to invest resources into the Windows or Mac ones.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Meanwhile, it just works in mpv. I suppose the issue is once again that Linux users aren't 1st class citizens...
              Not only mpv. I've been using a Kodi box with a puny Atom and thus mandatory GPU acceleration for some 10 years. It passed a wife acceptance factor with no sweat.

And now some Chrome guy, who sounds like someone who cannot be bothered and invents any excuse in order to be not bothered, is telling me that it has huge problems? Yeah, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

They don't have to invest resources into the Windows or Mac ones.
                Intel and AMD are investing enough. Actually, on ChromeOS, they are using exactly the same driver that desktop Linux uses.

Comment

I miss VDPAU.

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Sorry, but I could care less about NVDEC decoder.
                  If you could care less, that means you care.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                    Then I'll definitely go with AMD with VA-API support. Sorry, but I could care less about NVDEC decoder. I'm using Firefox, by the way.
                    Plus nvidia do have a va-api wrapper, so it actually works for them too.

Comment

Anyway, last time I enabled it for QtWebEngine, it worked on my machine for some codecs but not for others, and other peoples machine, the codecs that worked and those that didn't were different. It is a mess of what works and what doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X