DAV1D: A New AV1 Video Decoder From The VideoLAN Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
    You're still forgetting the "generally accepted oppressive regime" case. You're going on about minority opinions which is besides the point.
    Sersiously... what are you arguing against? Because at this point I have no clue what it is you think I'm wrong about.
    My only point is that if you are consuming legal content in a legal manner from a source that actually gives a damn about security, you have nothing to worry about. If you feel there is still something to worry about, fine - go ahead and live your life in fear. Not my problem.
    You, meanwhile, are questioning what legal means, as a way to disagree with my point. In other words, I interpret your point as "well I don't think it should be illegal so therefore I should be protected from my actions" and my point against that is "it doesn't matter what you think because as long as something is deemed a criminal activity, you have compromised your own security".
    This is pretty straight-forward... I'm not sure what you're not getting here.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 02 October 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      My only point is that if you are consuming legal content in a legal manner from a source that actually gives a damn about security, you have nothing to worry about.
      Not sure what the whole conversation was about, however, this statement is not really true. There are many examples of legal stuff distributed with malware, not necessarily on purpose. I.e. software installers on original CDs/DVDs infected with malware.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        Not sure what the whole conversation was about, however, this statement is not really true. There are many examples of legal stuff distributed with malware, not necessarily on purpose. I.e. software installers on original CDs/DVDs infected with malware.
        In that context, what's your definition of malware? I would agree that stuff is bloatware, adware, or just straight-up spam, but it's not anything that secretly collects your data or hurts your PC in any significant way.
        But assuming you did mean something like a virus or trojan, when was the last time something like this happened? I could see this happening accidentally 15 years ago, but, such a situation would've resulted in recalls and precautionary measures in the future. I find it way too hard to believe that this is a common issue.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          In that context, what's your definition of malware? I would agree that stuff is bloatware, adware, or just straight-up spam, but it's not anything that secretly collects your data or hurts your PC in any significant way.
          But assuming you did mean something like a virus or trojan, when was the last time something like this happened? I could see this happening accidentally 15 years ago, but, such a situation would've resulted in recalls and precautionary measures in the future. I find it way too hard to believe that this is a common issue.
          I used it in a broader context -- like unwanted stuff.

The last huge case I remember is SourceForce, where they changed the installers of certain projects (like GIMP) to include adware. That was in 2015.

Why doesn't that happen more often - i.e. in case of trojans? Possibly, because many people get their software these days from "stores" like Google/Windows/Apple or Steam. But these stores don't qualify as "a source that actually gives a damn about security". And that's the part of your previous answer I'm not comfortable with and hence my answer. If the source "gives a damn about security", I either don't get my stuff from it, or I have to guard myself against possible attacks from that very source. At least my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
            rav1e is written in Rust by the same guy who wrote Vorbis in C.
            but he didn't parrot on forum, did he? that's how you write software in rust

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
              Nope. There are already fully functional multimedia decoders in Rust that perform within 10% of the reference implementations
              yep. those things were created by doing work, not by parroting on forums
              Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
              Firefox's production MP4 parser is in Rust: https://github.com/mozilla/mp4parse-rust
              well, firefox is a nice showcase. it's a main software project by main force behind rust and even it has tiny percentage of rust code

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                So what is the point you're trying to make?
                that we require fast decoder. fast coder is not required by us. even in universe where fast coder is never created, av1 would be huge success

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  well, firefox is a nice showcase. it's a main software project by main force behind rust and even it has tiny percentage of rust code
                  Language statistics on Firefox include all of its libraries as well, not just the code exclusive to Firefox. Which is why it displays 122,000 lines of assembly. If you look at Firefox alone, its Rust share is a lot greater. Also, when the style system was rewritten in Rust the amount of code in it was cut in half compared to C++ version, so counting lines of code is not exactly a precise metric.

Firefox is a big project that cannot be rewritten overnight. There are more Rust components coming in various stages of completion, from already-enabled-in-nightly WebRender to year-away things like Cranelift.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrkellog View Post
                    Dav1d can decode an 8 bit AV1 movie (1080p) as fast as 50fps/sec with 4 threads and that using only the C code no ASM. so when the ASM optimizations will come the speed will be 100+fps/sec
                    Frames per second per second?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                      Oh, we have that discussion in any C/Rust thread with that person. I'm positive it's only about provoking people.
                      It might come as a terrible shock to all of you out there, but I have to come out and share the secret even if you can't handle it.

Ready?

THIS IS NOT A RUST THREAD AND HAS **NOTHING** TO DO WITH RUST.

Now kindly get lost.

And yeah I'll start to provoke people in any Rust-related thread from now on, for payback.

Comment

Working...
                      X