Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just hope Linus comes back.

Comment

It's funny. My friend is an avowed "facts don't care about your feelings" type. One type someone told them that they (the someone) were just "being real" and told them like it is. Without any wannabe Gregory House BS that Linus does, mind you.
      That person spend the next two hours in the car whining about his hurt feelings. Linus is not being blunt. He's a dickhead who thinks that he and his monolithic kernel are above the sheeple. You can strongly criticize someone without abusing them.

Comment

"Interesting" is one way to describe it, "ominous" is another. Linus's uncharacteristic behavior and the immediate attacks on Tso do not bode well for the project at all.

Comment

This CoC stuff is very confusing. You would think LGBT/minorities would want them judged by their code, not by their race or sexual orientation and yet all this campaign makes everyone judge them for these exact things instead of quality of their code. What the fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Or maybe they got to his wife, that got to him...
            One of his daughters, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
              This CoC stuff is very confusing. You would think LGBT/minorities would want them judged by their code, not by their race or sexual orientation and yet all this campaign makes everyone judge them for these exact things instead of quality of their code. What the fuck.
              That's because the CoC is not about inclusion, but to elevate the promoters of it and to get a social weapon against people deviating from the promoters' way of thinking.
              Just look at what happened to Ted Ts'o: fragments a statement he made a few years back were taken out of context, dropped on twitter for the mob, then the promoters of the Linux CoC immediately tried to eject him from the project. This CoC is not about including anyone, it's a political weapon for a few loudmouths to get into positions of power over others.

I like Linus' criticisms: usually they are to the point, directed at the produced work, and sometimes a reminder to people who should have known better that they let him down. However I believe that the snowflake-generation, which grew up being handed a medal even when they royally screwed up, cannot handle being bluntly told that they are expected to do better. Without getting hugged for it.
              Last edited by mlau; 24 September 2018, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
                I don't follow SJW's. The LGBT/minorities or whatever someone wants to call them are just as human and prejudiced as anyone else. I don't know what is going on currently.
                What I do know is that there are lot of kernel developers that have a political and cultural position opposite of mine. And actually, I don't care. Somewhere in the future our offspring will rejoice together on what we build together, knowing that the other might or might no trample on every truth I hold dear.
                So anyone bringing into kernel space the believes or actions of a developer outside of kernel space should just be silenced until he/she only sends code patches and respects the CoC.
                We are a multicultural society. If a developer in her private life promotes circumcision for women, I should not take offense inside kernel space.
                (In case you are wondering, yes, there are women promoting circumcisions for women... That's what multicultural means. Anyone saying these women are brainwashed should also consider themselves brainwashed.).
                Yes, I know of a few developers with very differing views from mine about certain things. It doesn't mean I appreciate their code less than anyone else's.
                I do think the link to the Lulz site does have some of the worst examples.
                Let's just hope that the woman promoting circumcisions for women will never be blocked from sending patches for the kernel. And neither those opposing it. And let their children bear the fruit of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
                  "Interesting" is one way to describe it, "ominous" is another. Linus's uncharacteristic behavior and the immediate attacks on Tso do not bode well for the project at all.
                  I think this would be a clear testing case for the CoC:
                  Do we block Tso, or do we block those attacking on someones private lives and opinions that have 0 influence on the kernel.
                  The CoC clearly forbids attacking someone else on his or her cultural or political views inside kernel space.
                  As I read it, all examples of the CoC have been trampled towards Tso.
                  So whomever does the trampling should be held accountable in my view. And maybe seek professional help.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    Linus is not being blunt. He's a dickhead who thinks that he and his monolithic kernel are above the sheeple. You can strongly criticize someone without abusing them.
                    I take offence from the abusive language in your comment. Please apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                      We are a multicultural society. If a developer in her private life promotes circumcision for women, I should not take offense inside kernel space.
                      (In case you are wondering, yes, there are women promoting circumcisions for women... That's what multicultural means. Anyone saying these women are brainwashed should also consider themselves brainwashed.).
                      With or without [other] women consent?
                      Multiculturalism do not mean rejecting and not accepting laws and culture of "adopted" country by refuses to integrate.

Comment

Working...
                      X