Greg Kroah-Hartman Releases Linux 4.19-RC5 Following An "Interesting" Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post

A developer or two per week for nearly 30 years?
    I doubt it. This was probably caused by someone recent from the "everyone is a winner" generation.

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post

A developer or two per week for nearly 30 years?
      hmm, that's over 1400 developers at the very least, so I'm going to call bullshit on your claim, unless you have proof of more than a couple dozen over almost 30 years that actually got 'their feelings hurt' over technical criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
        The arguments against the CoC are becoming more and more pathetic. You can tell the article is full of shit just by reading the title.
        Yeah, the hysterical reaction to the CoC will cause far more problems than the CoC itself. I've got a sinking feeling that a fork is coming and it will become an ffmpeg/libav situation.

Originally posted by starshipeleven
        Clickbait bullshit.
        You mean I shouldn't take a site called lulz.com seriously?
        Last edited by DanL; 23 September 2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Looks like the guy from SC-Controller had take a sabbatical because of the Linux CoC, after he released a new version of the software.

On other news, any of you guys using these new kernels from (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/) having issues with dependencies on Ubuntu 18.04? If so, how are you fixing it?

Comment

WOW, some of those people behind that CoC are seriously toxic. I'm kinda puzzled why they are pushing for the CoC because it seems they are the only one violating it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Yeah, the hysterical reaction to the CoC will cause far more problems than the CoC itself. I've got a sinking feeling that a fork is coming and it will become an ffmpeg/libav situation.
              Not gonna happen. Contrary to ffmpeg/libav situation, most people working on linux kernel are paid (and by "most" I mean more than 70%, according to Linux foundation's own numbers).

Even assuming all the 30% of voluntary developers decide to fork, and it's imho wildly unlikely, the job will still be done by the others, paid to work on the kernel.

So no, any claim that anyone can seriously block linux kernel is bullshit, the CoC's main potential problem is that it can be used to fuck with people if the enforcing of it goes in the hands of a SJW. So far this does not seem likely, but now we are a bit closer to midnight, so to speak.

You mean I shouldn't take a site called lulz.com seriously?
              No, I mean that the specific article linked is bullshit. I don't assume the quality of the content based on the site domain name, nor I make statements over articles I didn't read.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
                WOW, some of those people behind that CoC are seriously toxic. I'm kinda puzzled why they are pushing for the CoC because it seems they are the only one violating it.
                They are probably employed by some company, and their superiors demanded it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  With the libav fork there was a serious schism between the main developers. In this case it seems to be a lot of hysteria from random internet commenters, but not so much from the actual devs. I'd bet that any fork will wither pretty quickly. I also doubt that anything much will happen due to the CoC itself, as the text describes a fairly basic standard of decency, doesn't concern technical matters and will be interpreted by the same set of maintainers Linux has always had.

Reading between the line of Linus' statement, it sounds like he had an honest conversation with some maintainers he respects and got some critical feedback about his style. I really doubt that he's been intimidated by those dastardly SJWs.

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post

With the libav fork there was a serious schism between the main developers. In this case it seems to be a lot of hysteria from random internet commenters, but not so much from the actual devs. I'd bet that any fork will wither pretty quickly. I also doubt that anything much will happen due to the CoC itself, as the text describes a fairly basic standard of decency, doesn't concern technical matters and will be interpreted by the same set of maintainers Linux has always had.

Reading between the line of Linus' statement, it sounds like he had an honest conversation with some maintainers he respects and got some critical feedback about his style. I really doubt that he's been intimidated by those dastardly SJWs.
                    I agree with this. I'm even seeing some SJWs out there having their own doubts regarding the fast adoption of the CoC, talking about how this might just be a meaningless change and a diversion tactic to avoid one particular article from The New Yorker interviewing Torvalds which was going to be released a couple days later. Who knows, but I see this ppl suspiciousness as a good sign for now. In any case, the next relevant event will be The Return of Linus.
                    Last edited by euler271; 23 September 2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
                      Or maybe they got to his wife, that got to him...

Comment

Working...
                      X