No announcement yet.

Valve Rolls Out Wine-based "Proton" For Running Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for Linux on general, but I feel sorry for CodeWeavers, though I suppose most of their business comes from macOS users anyway.

Comment

Very nice
      The process for linux as gaming platform got a huge boost in the last months and now steam integrates these efforts finally.
      I hope they add an option to use pre-installed wine and dxvk binaries (I use gentoo).

Comment

Originally posted by OpenProgger View Post
        Very nice
        The process for linux as gaming platform got a huge boost in the last months and now steam integrates these efforts finally.
        I hope they add an option to use pre-installed wine and dxvk binaries (I use gentoo).
        They already did, read the original Valve announcement.

Comment

Worth noting: https://github.com/zfigura/wine/blob/esync/README.esync

Comment

Originally posted by matthewtrescott View Post
            Good for Linux on general, but I feel sorry for CodeWeavers, though I suppose most of their business comes from macOS users anyway.
            There is opportunity for CodeWeavers here.

Comment

i am not exaggerating when i say this is the linux gaming new of the year, happy and excited to hear this

Comment

As a small update (I hope Michael doesn't mind me linking for this), purchasing a Windows game and playing through Proton will count as a Linux sale, see the bottom here.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
                  This is huge. I am not sure how I feel about this. Will this make developers now unwilling to work on the Linux port since the "compatibility layer" would take care of this job? Would this end up hurting gaming on Linux?
                  You can't hurting dead things. Anything that allow me to play games in Linux is welcome. I'm thankful to valve for their effort

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina
                    Kinda want to try this out, unfortunately I don't own a single steam game that runs windows only. Can you use this with games that already have Linux support?
                    Why ? Anything native should be better than that crap wine

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

There is opportunity for CodeWeavers here.
                      Considering Valve paid Codeweavers to do some of the work, seems like they are already benefitting.

Comment

Working...
                      X