Microsoft Moves Ahead With Renaming "GVFS" Project To "VFS For Git"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dimko View Post
    They were working very hard on their reputation. Now it comes back to byte them in the ass. Fully deserved. It will take them decades to fix reputation.
    Lol no. "trolls" mentioning EEE with this regularity just means that "someone" is trying to desensitize the people to that, so that when the right time comes any cry of "Microsoft is pulling an EEE" will be ignored as "yet another troll".

It's also not a coincidence that it's either adamant "old Unix way" proponents or GNOME supporters that are so eager to do this duty.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yep, and it's not the only MS project that is supposedly open source, and the source is available, but is completely unusable to absolutely everyone.... It's just a part of there EEE tactic.
      Since when does open source equal to Linux? You guys are way out of touch.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Since when does open source equal to Linux? You guys are way out of touch.
        You think I'm out of touch? Really? The real question is since when is open source equal to MS? I think you guys are the ones out of touch.

Comment

You think I'm out of touch? Really? The real question is since when is open source equal to MS? I think you guys are the ones out of touch.
          The real question is can you stop posting bullshit.

It's using MIT license https://github.com/Microsoft/VFSForG...ter/License.md so it is opensource.

There is no rule written anywhere stating that opensource stuff MUST be crossplatform too. They just made something for their own use (which means windows-only) and let others take and use the source for it. That's all opensource is.

Comment

Open source relates to the licence. If the source code is available and the licence respects the Four Freedoms then it's open source, regardless of the OS it runs on. There are HEAPS of Windows-only open source software, there is also a significant pool of open source software developed by MS, some of which is Windows only, some is multiplatform and there is even open source software created by MS that only works on Linux. So who is out of touch again?

As RMS often says, projects and contributions should be looked at individually. MS has been, and still is, very hostile towards FOSS in many ways, but at the same time they are now also very active within the FOSS community.

Comment

Yep, and it's not the only MS project that is supposedly open source, and the source is available, but is completely unusable to absolutely everyone.... It's just a part of there EEE tactic.
              This made me laugh so hard.

The most important perk of open source is that you can modify it if you don't like it or want to port it. Don't like that it builds only with Visual Studio? Add makefiles and make it so it compiles on Linux with FUSE. Nobody said it has to be easy, or are you demanding others do it for you?

Open source isn't for people who just want to "compile" stuff, like those "look at me I'm so cool I can ./configure && make" people.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Open source relates to the licence. If the source code is available and the licence respects the Four Freedoms then it's open source, regardless of the OS it runs on. There are HEAPS of Windows-only open source software, there is also a significant pool of open source software developed by MS, some of which is Windows only, some is multiplatform and there is even open source software created by MS that only works on Linux. So who is out of touch again?

As RMS often says, projects and contributions should be looked at individually. MS has been, and still is, very hostile towards FOSS in many ways, but at the same time they are now also very active within the FOSS community.
                You say one thing and then you say something completely anti to that..... Either MS is supporting open source or they are supplanting it... You can't have it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  This made me laugh so hard.

The most important perk of open source is that you can modify it if you don't like it or want to port it. Don't like that it builds only with Visual Studio? Add makefiles and make it so it compiles on Linux with FUSE. Nobody said it has to be easy, or are you demanding others do it for you?

Open source isn't for people who just want to "compile" stuff, like those "look at me I'm so cool I can ./configure && make" people.
                  And yet who's doing it? It's not MS, it's not me, it's not you, it's not -anybody-... And you can bet your last dollar MS already knew. The only way to believe what you say is to assume that MS is totally fucking retarded and has no clue at all what they are doing, but they do whether you like it or not.

EDIT: MS wants to supplant the linux kernel, they want to supplant mono, they want to supplant samba.... What they don't want to do is support those projects.... What MS does is not to support but rather to supplant.
                  Last edited by duby229; 29 July 2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    Open source relates to the licence. If the source code is available and the licence respects the Four Freedoms then it's open source, regardless of the OS it runs on.
                    Well, no. If the source code is available and redistribution is licensed under an acknowledged open source license (like the MIT license), then it's Open Source. If it respects the Four Freedoms then it's Free Software. The MIT license does not respect the Four Freedoms. This software from Microsoft does not respect the Four Freedoms. Open Source is a marketing tactic, pure and simple, but this is a baby step in the right direction. It's a Good Thing and I'm not complaining.

Comment

And yet who's doing it?
                      Yet another opensource project none really gives a shit about. Github is full of them, Sourceforge too.
                      Does that make all of them some kind of bait or are you hallucinating just because it is from MS?

If this git addon was so smoking hot for the community it would have a bigger following, but it doesn't. Guess what, most opensource projects probably don't have a so huge mess of code like Windows as they prune away the bullshit as time passes to keep the code maintainable (much to the dismay of crappy programmers like Weasel), so they don't need this addon to work on their codebase.

The only way to believe what you say is to assume that MS is totally fucking retarded and has no clue at all what they are doing, but they do whether you like it or not.
                      Ignoring for a moment that MS didn't really show they have a clear grasp of what they are doing in many cases (Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows RT, their debacle in the mobile market, Windows Vista, Windows 98...), they might be doing it just for good PR. They are opensourcing some code they don't really plan to sell anyway, so getting some PR bonus is all they can get from it.

EDIT: MS wants to supplant the linux kernel, they want to supplant mono, they want to supplant samba.... What they don't want to do is support those projects.... What MS does is not to support but rather to supplant.
                      Yeah, definitely hallucinating.

Comment

Working...
                      X