Microsoft Moves Ahead With Renaming "GVFS" Project To "VFS For Git"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Moves Ahead With Renaming "GVFS" Project To "VFS For Git"

Phoronix: Microsoft Moves Ahead With Renaming "GVFS" Project To "VFS For Git"

Last year Microsoft announced the "GVFS" open-source project as the Git Virtual File-System. Many took issue with Microsoft's open-source project being called GVFS since for years prior GNOME has been developing the well known GVfs as the virtual file-system for GIO/GLib. At first Microsoft resisted calls for changing their project's name, but now are making good on doing so...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that's nice of them to change it.

Comment

Yes, very nice of them although the new name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. GitVFS or GiVFS might have been better.
      Is there a FUSE implementation of this?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        Yes, very nice of them although the new name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. GitVFS or GiVFS might have been better.
        Is there a FUSE implementation of this?
        For some reason I don't see a way to build it on GNU/Linux in README, and no meson or makefiles, just a Windows-only "sln". It's probably in early stages of development.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
          For some reason I don't see a way to build it on GNU/Linux in README, and no meson or makefiles, just a Windows-only "sln". It's probably in early stages of development.
          Yep, and it's not the only MS project that is supposedly open source, and the source is available, but is completely unusable to absolutely everyone.... It's just a part of there EEE tactic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
            The .sln files are solution files for Visual Studio. A solution file can hold references to multiple projects.
            You can still build the projects in Visual Studio Code without having to use the .sln file.
            Also you can probably build the entire solution by the .sln files using MSBuild (which is open source).

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Yep, and it's not the only MS project that is supposedly open source, and the source is available, but is completely unusable to absolutely everyone.... It's just a part of there EEE tactic.
            Like what projects?
            They are not supposedly open source, they are open source. Stop spreading misinformation and lies.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              It's just a part of there EEE tactic.
              *their
              Also, thank you for keeping with Phoronix tradition. Every Microsoft news blurb on Phoronix will have someone mention EEE within the first 5 comments or so, regardless of whether it makes any sense.

Comment

This was the first concern I had with the project when it came out under that name, good to see that they care to resolve it. It's an interesting design, not sure how it can be made more generally useful, time will tell.

Comment

When Microsoft shows definitive proof they have stopped EEE as a recognized and internally approved business practice then we'll stop looking at EVERYTHING they do with an eye on EEE. I still have my Microsoft Windows 1.0 install disks in 5.25" floppies. Until recently I had an old PC that still had DOS 3.0. I've seen Microsoft EEE from the beginning. A tiger does not change its stripes even if it decides to camouflage itself in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

*their
                    Also, thank you for keeping with Phoronix tradition. Every Microsoft news blurb on Phoronix will have someone mention EEE within the first 5 comments or so, regardless of whether it makes any sense.
                    They were working very hard on their reputation. Now it comes back to byte them in the ass. Fully deserved. It will take them decades to fix reputation.

Comment

Working...
                    X