Canonical Shifts Its Fiscal Year Ahead Of Likely IPO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    It will be interesting to see which companies will invest in Canonical. Maybe Microsoft buys them and invests in Microsoft Ubuntu Linux Their Azure Sphere OS is based on Linux, but I doubt they have plans on creating a full desktop distribution.
    MS "buys" Canonical, right. *wink* *wink*

On a side note Shuttleworth's wealth increased by 340 million pounds
    Totally not related to a big shadow master with big pockets.

I am sure that Linux community will have something to say about that in the usual calm, logic based and reasonable manner.
    H8ers gonna h8, what matters is that the prophecy is fulfilled, and the fabled Linux Desktop will finally bestowed upon us.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
      I am sure that Linux community will have something to say about that in the usual calm, logic based and reasonable manner.
      I am offended by the implications of that remark you insensitive clod!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

Some goes for mobile, where Microsoft has been destroyed. Monopolies are hard to crack!
        Eh, I'm not sure where you got your statistics but I've never ever seen one statistic where Windows Phone/Mobile had the majority of the market share. AFAIK they've always been a small player at that, so there was no 'monopoly' (unlike on the desktop where Windows is still at the top of the market share charts).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          MS "buys" Canonical, right. *wink* *wink*

Totally not related to a big shadow master with big pockets.

H8ers gonna h8, what matters is that the prophecy is fulfilled, and the fabled Linux Desktop will finally bestowed upon us.
          Joke or no joke Microsoft is one of the few players that could make Linux desktop a thing if they wanted to do so, bring Cortana to it, make a new sane desktop environment, bring Microsoft Office to it, better drivers, integration with Active Directory etc and it could work. It wouldn't be free though, but there would be a market for it, how big that would remain to be seen. That would be a plot twist for sure. But it doesn't make much sense for Microsoft to make a Linux distribution, paid or not, as Linux is no competition to Windows on the desktop. What would really be interesting if Microsoft did make their own Linux distribution for the desktop, with or without proprietary services, and then give it out for free, how many people would actually be tempted to use a well polished distribution made by a company that has resources to make it polished and make it work well, but one that is considered the enemy of Linux by a portion of Linux community. Especially if it had a beautiful desktop environment unavailable on other distributions. Proprietary, but given for free or for a low price, something like MacOS for the masses, very nice very polished and with great hardware support and Microsoft applications that are available for it. How many Linux users would give in and use it?

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

Some goes for mobile, where Microsoft has been destroyed. Monopolies are hard to crack!
            They had a good product - but they screwed the pooch with the early adopters (bad idea to leave your evangelists unhappy), they also just could not see a way to make a distant 3rd a close 3rd - and/or did not want to invest in making it happen.

Comment

They could name it Xenix while they're at it...

Comment

Working...
              X