No announcement yet.

Purism's FSP Reverse Engineering Effort Might Be Stalled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ie reverse engineering doesn't produce a derivative work , because the new code is not based on the original , only on it's interfaces , which can't ( should not ) be copyrightable

Comment

Have done some informational research into this sort of thing. Some fellow over in Europe, forgot if he is from Poland? can't remember. He actually reverse engineered all the versions of IME and loaded his own custom kernel and replaced minix. It would really cool to see the IME used for performance inhancement, how that would happen in a 486 grade 32bit processor?

Would be interesting to see how it could be used to reduce at least certain forms of system latency be it io or processing augmentation. I wish I possessed the skill to make that happen. I think a lot of io latencies are contingient upon the UEFI/BIOS technologies. Even an old apple 2 has faster input than the latest processor based systems due to everything being hardwired input to ic instead of firmware managed input via mc type structures. Heck it would be cool if intel did it themselves. Intel turn the ME into a performance asset! Pretty please? Ok, enough of that pipe dream.

I think certain types of technolgies should be converted and used for overall system performance inhancement, igpu's included. If gpu's can hash crypto which is major processing work. why not use that for a way to make all computer systems containing igpu's and secure microcontrollers potentially way way faster? At the same time those technologies will be way too tied up to be compromised, all problems solved. Would be a great solution to all our bugware woes.
      Last edited by creative; 11 May 2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Hmh, one more reason to buy AMD hardware. You don't threaten volunteers who are going for an open ecosystem - compete.

Comment

Originally posted by STiAT View Post
          Hmh, one more reason to buy AMD hardware. You don't threaten volunteers who are going for an open ecosystem - compete.
          They have their own versions of this type of technology except it uses an ARM processor. AMD Secure ARM Inside! You wan't to also know how I know? I saw it used on a Vishera, hahah and that is a cold hard fact and from an University. Everything with any notable processing power has secure microcontroller technologies, all by the way of which can be used by special interest.

I am no employed security expert, nor hacker, nor coder, but I have done enough research to know the difference. I really would like to learn to code in C though, since most of Linux is written in C.
          Last edited by creative; 11 May 2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
            Ie reverse engineering doesn't produce a derivative work , because the new code is not based on the original , only on it's interfaces , which can't ( should not ) be copyrightable
            While I agree with you that interfaces cannot and should not be copyrightable, it sadly was not the case in the Google/Oracle situation.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

They have their own versions of this type of technology except it uses an ARM processor. AMD Secure ARM Inside! You wan't to also know how I know? I saw it used on a Vishera, hahah and that is a cold hard fact and from an University.
              Vishera didn't have the PSP. That's Ryzen only iirc

Comment

Intel might even not threaten to sue, only said to them: publish this and forget about future hardware shipments from us.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina
                  When fortune500 company sends you a seize and desist letter and you don't happen to be another fortune500 company, you do what they say and evaluate your options.
                  Outside of US this is less of an issue, outside of US and of EU none gives a fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                    They have their own versions of this type of technology except it uses an ARM processor. AMD Secure ARM Inside! You wan't to also know how I know? I saw it used on a Vishera, hahah and that is a cold hard fact and from an University.
                    It's not exactly hard to know that AMD has a "secure coprocessor" when they post about that in their own press releases.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                      Wow, i didn't know that 'courtesy request' was a synonym of 'threat'...
                      It's courtesy as they didn't just go full Oracle on them while they fully could.

Still a dick move, but far less than just para-dropping their whole legal department decked with assault gear on Purism HQ.

Comment

Working...
                      X