NVIDIA Ends The GeForce Partner Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
    What did nvidia want? To bind brands to their production. That is for what brands have been created
    No they were created to identify all gaming hardware, Intel and AMD included.

NVIDIA has their own gaming brand already (GeForce).

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      I take it you don't.
      What is this sound? ...... Ah yes my "Small Wiener Detector (tm)".

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
        Intel partnered with AMD
        To do something that NVIDIA never did and AMD has experience in, like APUs?

and NVIDIA is going it alone.
        No they are not going at it at all. They never had APUs and probably never will.

BTW NVIDIA is the only brand offering 32-bit floating point precision on their GPUs.
        Sorry what? Both NVIDIA and AMD offer that and also 64bit floating point since ages. Hell, even Intel supports that from at least Ivy Bridge afaik.

Mesa is still about 20 extensions off of full GL 4.6 compliance whereas the NVIDIA blob is already there. It matters if you want to get work done on your GPU. Half the time the features never seem to get finished.
        Cite programs to "get work done" than need GL4.6. Last time I checked it was OpenCL (computing) or GL compat profiles for CAD and such.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          No they were created to identify all gaming hardware, Intel and AMD included.
          I've meant brands as a concept. Intellectual property. Governments started to protect brands partly because that allow customers to be sure they buying same ware.

Anti-nvidia guys here are trying to present situation as if nvidia stealing these brands, but actually it is like renting. Have brand owner right to rent temporal exclusivity to nvidia? AMD and it's fans say "never"!

Comment

Sad day, collective stupidity won.

[...]

and that is why part of us is fighting against GPP, to help AMD.
            Wait what, are you actually claiming the GPP *helps* AMD? That Nvidia created a program to *help their competitor*, and we're all collectively too stupid to recognize that?

Wow...

Anti-nvidia guys here are trying to present situation as if nvidia stealing these brands
            Err, they _did_ steal the brands. "ROG" first appeared on an AMD motherboard. But with GPP, ROG suddenly belonged to Nvidia.

Adding to all that, there's talk all over the place that GPP limited the availability of Kaby Lake G machines (you know, those Intel thingies with an AMD GPU included). How does that help AMD? And how does it help consumers, in particular those who want a small form factor build, but with some more kick in the graphics department?

anybody who say something good about nvidia is either troll or working at nvidia.
            You're not merely saying "something good" about Nvidia, you're shilling like crazy, trying to spin an anti-competitive program as if it's actually good for the competitor! That's why accusations that you're being paid by Nvidia. There's a world of difference between saying "something good" and what you're doing.

It has made a business proposition and brand owner agreed.
            It's really cool how what you wrote here sounds a lot like that quote from Godfather. Because this "business proposition" is to quite a degree mafia-like. So I don't know if you intended this (probably not), but bravo man, that's a good one
            Last edited by Gusar; 05 May 2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I've meant brands as a concept. Intellectual property.
              ROG and similar were intellectual property of OEMs, and they were created with the clear intent of branding all gaming hardware, not just NVIDIA GPUs.

I mean there are also mouse mats with ROG branding.

Anti-nvidia guys here are trying to present situation as if nvidia stealing these brands, but actually it is like renting.
              Renting implies that NVIDIA pays for that, AND that there are no drawbacks in refusing (apart from not getting paid).

The GPP was about prioritizing GPU chip sales and support to OEMs (which currently all OEMs get already) and the drawback for not joining was going at the end of the list for both GPU chip sales and support.

Threatening to remove something you get already unless you act as requested is called extortion, not renting.

I'm pretty sure that NVIDIA could not afford to pay all OEMs to get exclusivity of their gaming branding. Major OEMs aren't small companies, they would ask big prices to cover lost sales of AMD gaming hardware.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 May 2018, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I've meant brands as a concept. Intellectual property. Governments started to protect brands partly because that allow customers to be sure they buying same ware.

Anti-nvidia guys here are trying to present situation as if nvidia stealing these brands, but actually it is like renting. Have brand owner right to rent temporal exclusivity to nvidia? AMD and it's fans say "never"!

to me the NGPP looked more like blackmailing to me, sign this deal or get next to no chip supplies anymore, at least not early in the first quarter or two, ...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  What is this sound? ...... Ah yes my "Small Wiener Detector (tm)".
                  *lol* I didn't think you'd be into "Wieners", but one gets to learn new things here on Phoronix all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    to me the NGPP looked more like blackmailing to me...
                    Of course, pure mafia When market changes a bit, you can expect mafiosos to try to do various kind of steps, even obvious bullshit

When changes inside whatever market happens, anyone could expect some things like this. Now if some growing of a market is guaranteed for both, they won't complain otherwise if it does not not grow they will fight or just do something else.

World is really limited, markets are also limited - current PC market is something like 75 billion worth and constant growing for paricular companies is impossible, so if monopolstic empires does not reailse this on time, they could even totaly fall down
                    Last edited by dungeon; 05 May 2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Sad day, collective stupidity won
                      ... and the winner is... Khrundel!

Comment

Working...
                      X