Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    I hope you know that flash drives don't live very long and it's not recommended to use them for anything else than data transport :P

Leave a comment:

• unlotto
    replied
    I'm curious to know why you could not just make the partitions the size of the smallest of the cards?

Leave a comment:

• ak47gen
    replied
    The brand i uses was the Geek squad U3 *on sale* (make sure you remove the U3 part) drives, there avarage read speed where 20 MB/S each. Problem with flash drives is not every drive is the same size, each 4 GB could of been 4110 MB, 4052 MB, or 4044 MB. I found out most flash drives are this way for some reason.

So if you do this i suggest a few things

1. Buy it local so you can exchange it when needed
    2. Find drives that are fast, most they can range from 5-25 MB/S read and 2-19 MB/S write
    3. With raid 0 make sure there all the same size
    4. If you can use multiple host USB controllors, most cap out around 50 MB/s but can go up to 60. (i have 6, 2 on the mainboard, 2 pci cards, 2 pci express cards)
    5. if done right your looking at ~$200 for a ~210 MB/S drive with response times as low as 70 Microseconds for 52 GBs.(so a lot of money for little space, but faster than a x3 raptors on raid 0 *which is ~$400).

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Maybe I'll check it out, OP. Did you suggest what brands of flash drives that work well with your setup? Hmm, Flash drive RAID...sounds pretty interesting indeed

Leave a comment:

• ak47gen
    replied
    Thank you,

It took about a week, because it took a lot of returns and buys to get it right. The hard part was figuring out to set the USB.delay to 0, not a whole lot of support on that. Other than that I have done many gentoo installs so it was easy.

P.S. sorry for posting it 3 times, it took me a second to relize why it didn't go through (lack of sleep aided that one).

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Interesting, very nice job. How long did that take to configure?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X