Microsoft Developer Hoping To Land XArray Support For The Linux 4.17 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Developer Hoping To Land XArray Support For The Linux 4.17 Kernel

Phoronix: Microsoft Developer Hoping To Land XArray Support For The Linux 4.17 Kernel

For the past several months Microsoft developer Matthew Wilcox has been working on an XArray implementation for the Linux kernel that he hopes to eventually replace the radix tree data structure. He's now hoping to land the initial XArray support in Linux 4.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What are some use cases for XArray? Hyper-V?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      What are some use cases for XArray? Hyper-V?
      I think everything that needs lists. Like filesystems, netfilter, almost anything I can think of.
      Radix trees is a generic data structure API in the kernel used by many parts.
      So this would mean a change for the core.

Comment

Where is my pitchfork?

Comment

He made a nice presentation of his work at linux.conf.au: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0C9_Fp-co4

Comment

Is Microsoft paying him to do this, or is it his own thing?

Comment

On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 11:23:16AM -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
              > From: Matthew Wilcox <mawilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
              >
              > The current implementation of btrfs_page_exists_in_range() gives the
              > wrong answer if the workingset code has stored a shadow entry in the
              > page cache. The filemap_range_has_page() function does not have this
              > problem, and it's shared code, so use it instead.

I'm going to merge this patch. btrfs_page_exists_in_range was full of
              bugs from the beginning so I'm more than happy to use the shared one.
              Thanks.

Comment

"ZOMG! The MS developer helped fix a btrfs bug! Get the pitchfork! Burn the witch!"

Comment

Don't panic!
                  Of course even MS needs access to performant operating systems and file systems.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                    Is Microsoft paying him to do this, or is it his own thing?
                    His email ends with @microsoft.com , he is probably paid by MS to do this.
                    (I'm subscribed to the btrfs mailing list so I see the full address, in the links in the articles it's XXXXX to block spammers)

Comment

Working...
                    X