Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Agreed.

Not counting software development, we're moving towards a point where just about everything else you need to work on a PC for can be done just as well with Chrome OS, Android, iOS, or just about anything with a good browser. We're not there yet, but that's the clear trend.

Yes, but we're a tiny portion of the market.

Yes again, but this market is being chipped away by Android and iOS on one side and consoles on the other. But it won't disappear and I suspect it will shrink slowly. (Edit: actually, you're right that it's growing. I still think it will reach a certain point and then start to shrink. The Nvidia Shield TV can do some damn cool stuff, it just needs more games before my kids will care.)

Nah, an Android tablet or Chromebook will work just as well for homework.

Now again, I think your point stands for at least the next twenty years. The PC market isn't going away, and Microsoft isn't going away. But I think both will erode.
    I agree with most of your points, but students' homework is very much debatable. I mean: what kind of homework are we talking about? Students who must use AutoCAD, for example, how are they supposed to use AutoCAD on a Chromebook (not counting in things like crouton) or Android tablet? And students who need a drawing tablet (like Wacom, for example), how are they supposed to use that on a Chromebook (an Android tablet might work for them, but it depends on what kind of software they're supposed to use). And I can think of more examples.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay

PC sales have been decreasing steadily for at least the past 5 years. They're only recently rising... remains to be seen how long that will last!

Look, it's very simple. As long as 99% of the asshole mchipsters (your words) continue to spend their money on non-PCs, that shrinks Microsoft's revenue. And for the more specialized tasks, PC will, of course, be the tool of choice. Will that be enough to float Microsoft? I sure as heck hope not. With the trash it's been producing recently, Microsoft needs to roll over and die. It would be doing the world a favor. And I do dream of the day I can use trademarked/patended MicroSoft toilet paper, for the ultimate soft feel, for my bum when they sell their defunct name.

But please, continue to write long posts refuting positions and points I never made, and don't even hold. I wonder what my posts look like to your eyes... are they long walls of text explaining how tablets can be used to get work done?
      By the time Microsoft is reduced to a toilet paper company, Japanese-style ass-washing toilets will have taken over most households. But then again: MS has been late to parties so many times, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd still try to sell toilet paper when Japanese-style toilets will have taken over...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        until recently most popular fps was csgo(which supports linux)
        So you know his son personally? 'Cause My8th said *ALL* his FPS's, but it turns out it's only about one FPS? Let me know your source.

Comment

PC sales have been decreasing steadily for at least the past 5 years. They're only recently rising... remains to be seen how long that will last!

In the decade since you guys started this line of nonsense. Yes that's right it's basically been 10 years, we have gone from computers being one or a few per household to the norm being that everyone has at least 1, and often they have both a laptop and a battle station.

The decline is not some decline in PCs or people giving up PCs, it's that the replacement cycle has lengthened. Which hasn't been helped by the fact that CPU performance has only been getting marginal gains since Sandy Bridge, and GPUs had stalled out until we figured out how to get past 28nm, or the fact that even 5 years ago we were still deep in the Great Recession. Also there's of course the factor that after the Core 2 performance became adequately fast for non-gamers in the home computing environment.

I could go on...

Look, it's very simple. As long as 99% of the asshole mchipsters (your words) continue to spend their money on non-PCs, that shrinks Microsoft's revenue. And for the more specialized tasks, PC will, of course, be the tool of choice. Will that be enough to float Microsoft? I sure as heck hope not. With the trash it's been producing recently, Microsoft needs to roll over and die. It would be doing the world a favor. And I do dream of the day I can use trademarked/patended MicroSoft toilet paper, for the ultimate soft feel, for my bum when they sell their defunct name.
          Your contempt for the average user is showing by assuming they're Asshole McHipsters. Sorry, but no they're not. But let's put this to the sniff test: How many people do you know that aren't Boomers or older that only use a smartphone?

The reason I specified Asshole McHipster is that for the age group that is younger than Boomers is that the only people who really abandoned the PC for phones are hipsters who are basically a bunch of contrarians who want to show off how different and special they are by digging up ancient tech like typewriters that they can post about themselves using on social media.

But please, continue to write long posts refuting positions and points I never made, and don't even hold. I wonder what my posts look like to your eyes... are they long walls of text explaining how tablets can be used to get work done?
          Oh no you're not allowed to do this. When you say "The PC is dead/dying and mobile killed it" in whatever form you may choose to write it, there are frankly a ton of assumptions and bad arguments rolled up in that simple statement. Especially as you are parroting that nonsense this late in the game. It's exactly the same as the people who cry "systemd is teh evil" the why they think that is very well established at this point. For your case guess what? You're spouting the same old misinformed nonsense about declining PC shipments. So unless you actually have a novel argument you don't get to give me this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Oh no you're not allowed to do this. When you say "The PC is dead/dying and mobile killed it" in whatever form you may choose to write it, there are frankly a ton of assumptions and bad arguments rolled up in that simple statement.
            What you've quoted there, is a statement. It doesn't tell you what assumptions were made to come to it (if any) and there are certainly no arguments "rolled up" in it.

It's exactly the same as the people who cry "systemd is teh evil" the why they think that is very well established at this point. For your case guess what? You're spouting the same old misinformed nonsense about declining PC shipments. So unless you actually have a novel argument you don't get to give me this nonsense.
            You're now making a bunch of statements and claims without arguments yourself. I understand what nslay means when he wonders what you're seeing when you read his post. It's not enough for you to imagine things he said which he didn't, you're now comparing him to people who hold particular views on systemd and you're dropping this little counter point to a "systemd is evil" point about it being well established.

If nslay makes an unfounded claim which you think is unrealistic, you could just ask him to provide evidence or a logical argument to back his claim.

You don't prove someone right or wrong by ascribing common group traits to them (the individual) and you don't prove someone wrong by analogies. Well done for the creativity though. The systemd thing: you managed to roll up a strawman argument and an ad hominem attack into that analogy.
            Last edited by cybertraveler; 08 March 2018, 09:36 AM. Reason: fixed grammar

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
              Running only CS:GO is like having a TV with one channel.
              you missed the point, we were discussing "never running most popular game"

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                So you know his son personally? 'Cause My8th said *ALL* his FPS's, but it turns out it's only about one FPS?
                so you skipped logic classes at school? i derived that his son never played most popular game, which is unusual

Comment

In the decade since you guys started this line of nonsense. Yes that's right it's basically been 10 years, we have gone from computers being one or a few per household to the norm being that everyone has at least 1, and often they have both a laptop and a battle station.

The decline is not some decline in PCs or people giving up PCs, it's that the replacement cycle has lengthened. Which hasn't been helped by the fact that CPU performance has only been getting marginal gains since Sandy Bridge, and GPUs had stalled out until we figured out how to get past 28nm, or the fact that even 5 years ago we were still deep in the Great Recession. Also there's of course the factor that after the Core 2 performance became adequately fast for non-gamers in the home computing environment.

I could go on...

Your contempt for the average user is showing by assuming they're Asshole McHipsters. Sorry, but no they're not. But let's put this to the sniff test: How many people do you know that aren't Boomers or older that only use a smartphone?

The reason I specified Asshole McHipster is that for the age group that is younger than Boomers is that the only people who really abandoned the PC for phones are hipsters who are basically a bunch of contrarians who want to show off how different and special they are by digging up ancient tech like typewriters that they can post about themselves using on social media.

Oh no you're not allowed to do this. When you say "The PC is dead/dying and mobile killed it" in whatever form you may choose to write it, there are frankly a ton of assumptions and bad arguments rolled up in that simple statement. Especially as you are parroting that nonsense this late in the game. It's exactly the same as the people who cry "systemd is teh evil" the why they think that is very well established at this point. For your case guess what? You're spouting the same old misinformed nonsense about declining PC shipments. So unless you actually have a novel argument you don't get to give me this nonsense.
                  Fact: The PC is declining.
                  Fiction: *Refer to wall of text above*

Now then, I expect a 3 page response imagining more of my opinions and positions on parroting that one sentence fact. You may begin!

Comment

so you skipped logic classes at school? i derived that his son never played most popular game, which is unusual
                    I never skipped any classes. I don't see what's unusual about it. Until a few years ago, I played Nexuiz (on Linux), which is an FPS as well. I too never played Counter-Strike (not even when I was in high school).

Comment

until recently most popular fps was csgo(which supports linux)
                      clang better implements standard c++. msvc still misses parts of c++98
                      Yes to the first, no to the second (unless you count the standard library, but then all the compilers have issues with C++98, may it rot in peace)
                      Last edited by carewolf; 08 March 2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X