Steam Survey Purports A 0.28% Linux Gaming Marketshare For February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    Sending hate mails/death threats is not the same as complaining about issues... Some people reacted really badly, but of course that does not mean all of us did...
    The game also does not use Wine in any form.
    Ah ok its using eON a Winelib like approach to translate DirectX into OpenGL and sry I hope my double post remove did not delete anything else!

Comment

Heartbreaking se it so low

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post

Ah ok its using eON a Winelib like approach to translate DirectX into OpenGL and sry I hope my double post remove did not delete anything else!
        That's right.
        eON isn't much different from Wine technically speaking, but neither are the tools used by the other big porters (inDirectX by Feral for example)
        I think it's fine to dislike games ported with wrappers if one wishes to (their cost is often non negligeable after all), but it seems quite unfair to do for some porters and not others.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
          Heartbreaking se it so low
          Unreal engine 4
          Pubg official discord server 18,000 online Unreal tournament discord 5000 online (opensource btw), The 'official fortnite' discord 46,000 online

IDtech Quake Champions discord server 2100

Tim Sweeney of Epic games could make a difference. He needs to release epic game launcher and market place for dev's. Reddit Linux gaming people were complaining that epic did not want to support Linux. I told them epic does support Linux Unreal Tournament is available. They said it was dead so I looked up the discord servers.

How many Linux users are playing Unreal Tournament?

edit: my bad I did not scroll down all the way on discord user list for Fortnite 46,000 online I orginally had it at 150 oops.
          Last edited by PackRat; 02 March 2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
            How many Linux users are playing Unreal Tournament?
            How many Linux users could play Unreal Tournament if there are only Win and OS X binaries on game's web-site? Users will stop right here, but one could go to Epic blog, find 10 GB archive here, but what to do on next update? Re-download whole game again because there is no EpicLauncher?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              How many Linux users could play Unreal Tournament if there are only Win and OS X binaries on game's web-site? Users will stop right here, but one could go to Epic blog, find 10 GB archive here, but what to do on next update? Re-download whole game again because there is no EpicLauncher?
              Ya your right. Epic isn't making it easy for users. There was a binary i had issues with my radeonsi were missing textures the last time I tried it.
              Linux client here: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-notes-june-28
              Last edited by PackRat; 02 March 2018, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

Where to be exact?

Gog? Gog don't have so many games like Steam has?

Itch.io ? Don't make me laugh.

People are going away to Windows is the answer. With dual booting or complete migration.

I know so many called " Linux gamers " playing and buying Windows games.

So , Linux users are not honest. They are buying Windows games on Steam and screaming as " Port it to Linux"

Dev is like ; " i made sale to you anyway , why should i port it? "

Start laughing because I'm one of the ones that haven't bought a game from Steam for 9 months while I've bought 3 times from GoG for a total of 4 games in the same period. I'm not the only one that's moved most of my purchases from Steam to GoG, at least two of my friends have after I introduced the service to them. That's hardly an avalanche, but laughing at the concept doesn't make it true. Just because GoG doesn't have as many titles as Steam has doesn't make it a worse service. Rather the opposite. I have less junk to sift through and what I do buy doesn't have DRM.

I personally buy games with only a passing glance at whether it has a Linux port or not. If it does, fine, one reason to buy it, but not the only and certainly not the top. All of my gaming is still Windows, and probably will remain that way unless something major changes to convince me otherwise. Steam's Linux numbers are only a glance at *Steam's* customers. It shouldn't be taken as an industry wide metric.

Comment

I'll be the one laughing when you'll be the one jail breaking your windows to play gog games. How is the windows platform with no drm working for you?

Comment

About statistics, it is entirely normal to get the survey zero times or three times.
                    There's that fallacy that random should be "fair". One illustration was many random black pixels on white background on a square. You'll see patterns everywhere and declare it not random, preferring the neatly evenly spaced pixels.. which are not random at all.
                    If your playing heads and tails, you will likewise often get four tails in a row.

Then you have selection bias i.e. out of 1000 forum users you found a pattern and report it.
                    Albeit, I can't dismiss there may be biases (such as the one on new installations ; note that it might occur if the survey is 100% naive about targetting "installations" equally? or a (random) subset of user accounts might be deliberately targetted for repeat surveys)
                    Lastly, real world surveys all correct for biases.(e.g. you might not have enough teenagers in your sample, or you know that many refuse to admit they're a drunkard)
                    Last edited by grok; 03 March 2018, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Everyone knows all the Windows XP figures are people running old Wine prefixes. As of a few months ago, Wine now creates a Windows 7 prefix by default, so many of the Windows 7 figures will be Wine users too.

And since the recommended approach is to have one game per prefix, most people would have many wineprefixes with Steam installed, whereas they likely only have a single GNU/Linux native Steam installation. For example, I currently have 131 wineprefixes on my GNU/Linux installation that each have Steam installed within, but only one copy of Steam for GNU/Linux. Obviously I'm going to end up getting the Steam survey more than 100x as much for my wineprefixes than for the native Steam installation which I would rather it count (but almost never actually does).

And that's the only reason why it *looks* like GNU/Linux Steam usage is under 1%. Of course the GNU/Linux sales are still significantly less than 1%, but that's only because Wine is just that good.

Comment

Working...
                      X