Outreachy Is Now Accepting Applications For Their Summer 2018 Internships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

Orwell was both a communist and anti-fascist. Just fyi.
    Translation:
    hurr durr everyone who disagrees with me is a fascist, thus u can't quote Orwell : DD
    idiot

Comment

It's positive racism, so what. It's not like funds attributed to it would be otherwise spent on gender-neutral programs and if it does attract new people in then it's a good thing in my book. Subsidizing progress on bringing in minorities is a prerogative of whoever is funding these programs, I'm not one to judge here.

Won't go into the whole discussion on free markets, but I mostly agree with Noam Chomsky here .

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

Second comment, the Outreachy outrage is reaching new records. And always with the same arguments...
        Yeah that would be because it's regressive bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

1. Clearly not all positions are hired on merit. That's why these programs exist.
          2. You think the free market exists or works, hilarious.
          A wrong and a wrong does not make a right. for heavens sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post

Translated: open to everyone but cis white males. This shit ought to be illegal.
            dude, you are shouting the loudest and yet you used the term "cis" of your own free will there... dont use their ridiculous language! its infecting even your brain. calling a normal person "cis" is their version of a normal person calling them a you know what. never legitimize that nonsense by incorporating it into your own language.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
              It's positive racism, so what.
              Translation:
              You can be racist if you're not white, you can make racist organizations if they are racists against white people.

Subsidizing progress on bringing in minorities
              Translation:
              This is progress because I say so

is a prerogative of whoever is funding these programs, I'm not one to judge here.
              Translation:
              You can't judge them because it's a private organization. But if you make a white racist organization you bet I'm gonna be there to judge everyone in the organization and those who donate, private or not.
              hypocrite
              Last edited by danieru; 17 February 2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

It's positive racism, so what. It's not like funds attributed to it would be otherwise spent on gender-neutral programs and if it does attract new people in then it's a good thing in my book. Subsidizing progress on bringing in minorities is a prerogative of whoever is funding these programs, I'm not one to judge here.
                There's no such thing as positive or negative racism, there is only racism. Calling it positive or negative is simply a matter of marketing, because all discrimination against some group is discrimination in favour of others, and all discrimination in favour of a group is discrimination against others. Furthermore the idea that GNOME wouldn't be spending their funds on developers in a meritocratic manner if this program was cut is simply false.

Now that said, I will give you that there is certainly validity to your argument besides these points that as long as you don't view discriminatory practices as a bad thing and aren't pushing for some notion of equality, that orgs are allowed to spend money as they so choose and that bringing in more people is a good thing. However anyone who believes that discrimination is a bad thing and supports a program like this is a hypocrite.

Won't go into the whole discussion on free markets, but I mostly agree with Noam Chomsky here .
                A Free Market is one defined as a market economy that is free from government interference. A market economy is defined as an economy in which private individuals or groups of private individuals place products on the market in a competitive environment at a cost determined by the producer (including no cost). Contrast with state monopolies and central planning.

There is no governmental interference in the market of Open Source Software: no regulatory body, no censorship board, nothing more and nothing less than the contracts known as licenses which detail out the costs of the product which range from simply needing to include the copyright notice (MIT/BSD) to requiring that the software that uses this product must use a similar compatible contract (GPL). Other than enforcing these contracts which nobody but the most extreme ancap would considered government interference, the market is free from interference. Ergo Open Source Software is a Free Market.

And I think we can all agree that Open Source Software works and works well.
                Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 17 February 2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

It's a small gesture to encourage participation by under-represented groups in a field that is overwhelming a white sausage-fest.

They're not clubbing seals, or polluting your groundwater. Some of these comments tells me more about the commenters than the substance of their post.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

A wrong and a wrong does not make a right. for heavens sake.
                    Whatever man.

Comment

Wait, what's the point of me having all this privilege if those people are just going to do an end-run around and get opportunities anyway?
                      Last edited by bregma; 17 February 2018, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X