Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The CSD Initiative Is Pushing For Apps To Abandon Title Bars In Favor Of Header Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

There once was a KDE vs GNOME cartoon, where all the GNOME developers were doing drugs and listing to electronic music, and the KDE developers were all wearing suits and sitting in a sterile office.

Supposedly both were said to be accurate representation of then Ximian and KDAB offices.
    Not from what I can remember from the KDAB offices in Berlin; there was no drugs, but neither were there suits. It was an amazing, laid-back place for people who really liked hacking, though. Damn, this has made me all nostalgic for KOffice/Calligra sprints in Berlin!

Comment

I still don't get why sites (in this case Phoronix) call headerbars modern, even though the whole concept is over 20 years old! See the screenshots of Xerox GlobalView with its headerbars at: http://toastytech.com/guis/gv.html

Comment

All window decorations are client-side on Wayland (even when they look like title bars), so there is no way to hide them at a window manager level
        In Gnome-Shell, that's true, but Wayland neither defines server-side-decorations nor client-side-decorations. GTK itself supports KDE's SSD protocol, so GTK applications that do not use header bars will use server-side decorations in all compositors that support that protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          What do you gain by re-messing everything every 3 or 5 years? Is it because folks only have the horrible 16:9 vision-slits and not enough room between the borders for the actual content?
          And why do so many programs features such tiny tiny scollbars? Just because it's modern? Or because people are only capable of swiping gestures these days? Or ribbon design in MS products, anyone? Crippled desktop search? Fat, fancy, colourful buttons with icons nobody can guess the meaning of?

I want to work. I want to be productive with my programs but I really doubt most "innovations" of the last 5 years in interface design brought really positive results. :/
          And what do you gain by calling headerbars an "innovation of the last 5 years" when they are actually over 20 years old? See the Xerox GlobalView DE from 1996 (!) screenshots: http://toastytech.com/guis/gv.html

Comment

This kind of reminds me of the Ubuntu global menubar... what's the word? Endeavor, I guess. They spent a few years working on it, and the end result was "never mind."

The Gnome project would probably be doing themselves (and their users) a favor if they just skipped straight to the "never mind" phase and worked on something else instead of expending great effort on minor tweaks to the UI.
            Last edited by bison; 26 January 2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
              This kind of reminds me of the Ubuntu global menubar... what's the word? Endeavor, I guess. They spent a few years working on it, and the end result was "never mind."
              I'm glad about that though! I love quite some pieces of old software, but menus aren't one of them. Menus are in my top 5 most annoying software pieces list.

Comment

I would say Modern as actually starting to be used in UI design.

Even Apple as jump onto the bandwagon with their System Preferences, Before: http://images.techhive.com/images/ar...65975-orig.png After: https://cdn2.macworld.co.uk/cmsdata/...intro-pane.jpg

Using Gnome 3 since 3.20 for work and personal with no real complaints. Works well with different inputs: Keyboard, Mouse, and Touch Screen. And yes touchscreen is very useful in a cramped environment like an airplane seat.
                Last edited by Yndoendo; 26 January 2018, 03:59 PM. Reason: Actual find OS X / MacOS and Windows interfaces very clunky and slow to manuver after using Gnome for so long.

Comment

CSD is idiotic. How should I know if user prefers dark/bright theme, small/large buttons, needs high contrast etc... And why should I care about it when I just need a way to move and close a window?

And wayland doesn't require CSD. They could create xdg_decorations, but Gnome people don't like it for some reason.

Comment

Please NO! CSD may be useful only if optional! this is AGAIN gnome3 people trying to enforce their view as the "one and only", the "perfect one"

i want to be able to manage my own button placement, header font site, use it to dash, move, place tabs, even colors, so i can flag apps for one job and apps for another different job. I have when a app force me to use their header UI, just because the author uses that... guess what, not everyone uses the same system or even like it.

I personally use close button on the left, pin, minimize and maximize on the right and use tabs in the title bad.

For me, CSD can die

>GNOME is the most popular DE in linux desktop world

If talking about gnome3, actually is is not, that ship was long gone... only if ubuntu using it will increase its share enough, but most linux people do not use it

Comment

Dear CSD initiative,

Eat shit and die.

Sincerely,
                      Kelly

Comment

Working...
                      X