Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cerberus
    replied
    Neither Wayland nor Mir are ready to fully replace X.org, they lack proprietary drivers and they will have to run a lot of applications using XWayland and XMir for likely a long time before they fully replace X.org. Both are likely lacking feature parity with X.org at the moment as well. X.org can go away when these two achieve feature parity and get AMD and Nvidia proprietary drivers. X.org is ancient and it is long overdue for a replacement, but it will likely take a few more years before it gets fully replaced.

Leave a comment:

• ferry
    replied
    X supports a lot of stuff many never use, but some rely on. I'm not sure if Wayland has already taken all use cases into account. Like:
    - projecting the output of an application on another machines desktop (--display)
    - remote session (whole desktop on another machines desktop (XDMCP)
    - remote session across the internet (X2GO)
    - multiple sessions per user
    - multiple servers per machine
    - multiple screens per session

Yes, I'm aware of the security issues with some of the above stuff. The question I'm raising is not if X does it the 'right' way, but if Wayland does or is planning to do.

Leave a comment:

• Uqbar
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Gee I dunno, the old shoes are good around the house/gardening and all... Wait what are we talking about again?
    In the past it already happened. One for all.
    The friendly people at Ubuntu embraced KDE4 and killed KDE3.
    But KDE was at that time quite far from complete and reasonably debugged.
    Overall result: a number of people moving away from (k)Ubuntu as downgrade wasn't feasible.
    Can you today run the three/four major DE over Wayland in a stable way for daily usage?
    I haven't heard about that yet. Maybe it's my fault.
    Please, recall that there is people (like you and me) using Linux DEs for everyday work, not just to show off to friends and girls.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
    Don't do that.
    You throw the old shoes away when you are sure the news ones fit and are in your hands! (Old Italian saying)

Gee I dunno, the old shoes are good around the house/gardening and all... Wait what are we talking about again?

Leave a comment:

• Uqbar
    replied
    Don't do that.
    You throw the old shoes away when you are sure the news ones fit and are in your hands! (Old Italian saying)
    Last edited by Uqbar; 19 January 2016, 02:30 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• soulsource
    replied
    What's the state of network transparency with Wayland? Is there a nice solution meanwhile, that's at least as convenient to the user as X11 (meaning: remote windows look exactly like local windows, are managed by the local WM,...)?

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Have never really used wayland, I'm just using Ubuntu MATE 15.10 atm which I believe uses X.Org still. I will wait until wayland is FULLY ready for my distro of choice, not really interested in prototype testing nightly builds of it.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Openbox is a pure X application. Porting it to Wayland would basically amount to a total rewrite.

I would like that to happen though - for someone to create something that's compatible with openbox's configuration files and theme definitions and otherwise behaves just like openbox (pipe menus!! ), but is actually a Wayland compositor instead of an X application.
    I don't know if there are any panels that are written to support Wayland, let alone docks, such as Plank (from elementary OS). Currently, I have a vala-panel along with a global menu applet that I got from an AUR. Together with openbox, xcompmgr, plank, nitrogen, and vala-panel, my setup barely used more than 1% of my CPU resources. When I run top in a terminal, all of my four cores show 0% and some of my cores hover between 0% to 1%. I wish GNOME Shell would have accomplished the same feat.

Leave a comment:

• SystemCrasher
    replied
    I think Xorg would not "die" in sense it not going to be "killed" in forcible manner. But it looks like it going to be eventually phased out. And looking on how it performs and especially into its code (warning, it can give you nightmares!) I think it going to be phased out. These days only few mortals dare to touch it, and even these seems to have distaste about it, Xorg is clearly getting least attention of all graphic stack things around.
    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 19 January 2016, 02:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    What is the current state for Openbox when it comes to Wayland?
    Openbox is a pure X application. Porting it to Wayland would basically amount to a total rewrite.

I would like that to happen though - for someone to create something that's compatible with openbox's configuration files and theme definitions and otherwise behaves just like openbox (pipe menus!! ), but is actually a Wayland compositor instead of an X application.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X