Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would be the appropriate place to ask about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would be the appropriate place to ask about this?

On my Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS system ever since kernel 3.13.0-35 I've been seeing the system periodically (usually every 1 1/2 - 2 days) lockup with this in the syslog:

Mar 17 13:57:59 localhost kernel: [93991.808012] [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... render ring idle

Most of the time what will happen is that I will either come back to the computer from being away for awhile and see just a black screen with the mouse cursor which I can move but nothing happens. I can CTRL>ALT>F1 log-in and do a 'sudo reboot' or another issue I've seen is that I may be scrolling through a page in Firefox and suddenly it will lockup in this case CTRL>ALT>F1 may or may not work. I may have to just use the power switch to reboot. There have been a few other times when the system will lockup with the black screen and the mouse cursor however the 'Hangcheck' error will not be present which is really confusing to me.

I've submitted a bug report on Ubuntu Launchpad and it seems like I'm the only person in the world running Ubuntu who is seeing this. I've run through many kernel versions as tests and I'm up to running 4.0.0-040000rc4-generic upon the request of someone on the Ubuntu Bugzilla team (I guess that's what he does) who keeps wanting me to test various kernels to see what happens. To me this is not helping provide the solution as every kernel version I've tried eventually will have a lockup with this error. There is a bug report at freedesktop.org on the exact same issue and I've added information there as well but it also seems to be going nowhere. If anyone could steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris
Working...
X