Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XWayland & X.Org Server See New Releases Due To Three More Security Vulnerabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

You're taking a statistic from 2,000 GNU/Linux gamer profiles on a gamer website to represent all GNU/Linux users? How very scientific.

You do realize that the likely reason KDE is number one in that poll is because it's the default on the Steamdeck, don't you? These numbers have absolutely nothing to do with general GNU/Linux usage.
    What numbers do then? I'm not trying to argue, but rather curious to know how did you get your "2/3 or Linux users do not use Gnome/KDE". I always thought the number of people not using any of these is vanishingly small.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

You're taking a statistic from 2,000 GNU/Linux gamer profiles on a gamer website to represent all GNU/Linux users?
      No, I'm not. I clearly stated that the numbers are for Linux gamers, and how I expect the numbers for the whole population would differ.

How very scientific.
      A lot more scientific than your claim with nothing to back it up.

You do realize that the likely reason KDE is number one in that poll is because it's the default on the Steamdeck, don't you?
      Doubtful, since the Steam Deck game mode doesn't use KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Must be why these vulnerabilities are exposed and fixed. I guess they fix themselves, no maintainers needed.
        I guess it depends on your definition of dead.

There are still a lot of users running X, and Red Hat and various other large companies have support contracts out there for products that use X. Therefore they are contractually obligated to fix up security vulnerabilities like this. So if that's your only definition, then no - not dead yet. Not until those contracts expire, anyway.

But in the larger sense, there's zero work going on to add new features to X. There's nobody that matters planning to continue using X for the long term. There's no more community involvement in X beyond making changes to get it working better with XWayland. So from that perspective, it's dead.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          I guess it depends on your definition of dead.

There are still a lot of users running X, and Red Hat and various other large companies have support contracts out there for products that use X. Therefore they are contractually obligated to fix up security vulnerabilities like this. So if that's your only definition, then no - not dead yet. Not until those contracts expire, anyway.

But in the larger sense, there's zero work going on to add new features to X. There's nobody that matters planning to continue using X for the long term. There's no more community involvement in X beyond making changes to get it working better with XWayland. So from that perspective, it's dead.
          It will stay alive until we get a proper replacement like Arcan instead of crippled Crapland.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            It will stay alive until we get a proper replacement like Arcan instead of crippled Crapland.
            So much reasoning, wow.

X is on life support, Wayland will replace it.

Wayland is simpler than X, Wayland is modularized and specified for modern requirements.

It is of no importance if Wayland is "better" or more "feature complete" (for different types of definitions of this) than X.

Even if Wayland is not so much better it is a desperately needed way out of X.

Maybe Wayland will get replaced very quickly by something other after X has finally been deleted, but then Wayland has made that possible in the first place, which is a huge achievement and consisted of much pain (as we sometimes see it) to get rid of X and allow a future framework with less mountais of legacy and interwoven code and spec.

Wayland is an overdue neccessity and most people can see that. Whatever comes after Wayland has a much better base than Wayland had moving away from X.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
              So much reasoning, wow.

X is on life support, Wayland will replace it.
              So much reasoning, wow.

Wayland will never replace X, because it's crippled by design. Doesn't matter if X dies or not, it would be replaced by something else.

Wayland is simpler than X
              Crippled, not simpler.

Even if Wayland is not so much better it is a desperately needed way out of X.
              Can't be a way out if it can't even do essential basic stuff like querying absolute window positions or moving them…

Wayland is an overdue neccessity and most people can see that.
              It's not and most people are still using X, nobody gives a shit of those monkey devs who are the reason it is crippled in the first place.

Comment

Working...
              X