• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daedaluz
    replied
    Originally posted by magika View Post
    nautilus
    bad:
    -No dual pane view. You can't even open tabs.
    Yes you can. Then you can treate those tab titles like shortcut to that folder during drag&drop operarions which remves need for dual panes. Just drag files over the tab and release to move files there. You can even drag the tab out of window to make it new window like in web browsers. Nautilus is much better than people seem to realize. Using anything else feels like going back ten years.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by alazar View Post
    It's my opinion and I have the freedom and right to express myself. If you wanna think somebody is authorized to insult other people because of their opinions, well, it's all up to you.
    There is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, even an inflammatory one. What I do hold as being intellectually dishonest is for you to say something is shit and then act like you were not trying to be offensive.

Leave a comment:

• psychoticmeow
    replied
    It's my opinion and I have the freedom and right to express myself. If you wanna think somebody is authorized to insult other people because of their opinions, well, it's all up to you.
    I don't need to be 'authorized' to tell you to you're being an idiot. You could've tried to defend your opinion regardless (although I don't think you reasonably can) but instead chose to whine about how offensive the word 'idiot' is.

Leave a comment:

• alazar
    replied
    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Says the man who calls something shit and then hides behind a tacked on "no offence" claim. No matter what is being argued that is intellectually dishonest if nothing else. At least psychoticmeow is open about being abrasive.
    Last edited by alazar; 15 June 2014, 05:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• magika
    replied
    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    All of the GNOME Classic extensions are officially backed by the GNOME project and are not supplied by a third-party.
    That is no GNOME Classic I am talking about, but an user made extension https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/584/taskbar/
    GNOME Classic surely offers classic taskbar but at the cost of screen height as it adds additional panel at the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by magika View Post
    Lack of task bar, only available as 3rd party extension. Current window switching makes your head spin if you have open many terminals or editors. minigame "find the one you need".
    All of the GNOME Classic extensions are officially backed by the GNOME project and are not supplied by a third-party.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Says the one who needs to insult others for expresing their opinions.
    Says the man who calls something shit and then hides behind a tacked on "no offence" claim. No matter what is being argued that is intellectually dishonest if nothing else. At least psychoticmeow is open about being abrasive.

Leave a comment:

• magika
    replied
    While I myself think that GNOMEShell is one of the best desktops out there there are many basic things that make DE not optimal for serious work. Lets iterate:
    good:
    -Shell, window manager and settings, they are made very well
    -No phonon.
    bad:
    -Lack of task bar, only available as 3rd party extension. Current window switching makes your head spin if you have open many terminals or editors. minigame "find the one you need".
    -As NPAPI got deprecated by ~good~ browsers you have to hackthru to install extensions.
    -Theming, Adwaita wastes too much space for my taste, and 3rd party themes are borken ~by design~.
    -Customization: dconf-editor exposes all settings but is the same as navigating windows registry.
    -Double menus: one in app and one on task bar. Awesome design.
    -Application launcher icons are too big of r my taste. And no, there is no obvious way to change them.
    -As much as people like calling KDE bloated, empty KDE session takes only 750mb (with 180mb being mysql), while empty GNOME uses 1.5GB (no mysql here).

As with any DE default apps is a core element of UX.
    gedit
    good:
    -You can type words.
    bad:
    -Rest of basic functionality like identatrion and block-selection etc. are missing.
    -Whats in there got stuffed in one big menu,
    gnome-terminal
    good:
    -Its a terminal.
    bad:
    -No transparency or background picture. Its too hard to maintain I heard. As someone who works alot of time in terminal I need those features to reduce the strain on my eyes. As many others.
    -Looks like "New tab" menu option was too hard to maintain too. But you still can open new tab by shortcut (which you have to know beforehand). Someone explan this design choice to me please.
    nautilus
    good:
    -You can navigate through folders.
    bad:
    -No dual pane view. You can't even open tabs.
    -No compact view. Icons view zoomed out still nothing like it, wastes too much space with many files.
    -You just can't, simply can't open file with application that is not listed in its app list. You can search through app list, but you can't use you own "command %1" if the app you want is not listed there for reasons unknown (I wanted to open .pro file with QTCreator, quest was quite epic). Bad things will happen to you, they think.
    -This one has most severe case of dual menus.

All in all best DE if you want to chat and surf webs.

Leave a comment:

• psychoticmeow
    replied
    Says the one who needs to insult others for expresing their opinions.
    I'm sorry, you didn't like being called an idiot for doing something idiotic?

Leave a comment:

• rikkinho
    replied
    hm

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Fedora + RPMFusion is perfectly fine for "Nonfree" things like h.264 and the likes. Personally I was a big Arch'er up until about two years ago. Arch... you can see the holes. Like you can SEE that things were put together piece by piece, meanwhile with Fedora it seems more... integrated? You get the impression that its pieces fitting into a whole and that if there was a 'rough' spot that they tried to smooth over it. With Arch there's no smoothing.
    the point of arch is you build you system for nothing, with arch unity works well, gnome 3 works pretty well xfce and kde are a dream, ofc nothing is ready out of box, you need to spend a lot of hours make everything working well

Leave a comment:

Working...
X