• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riskable
    replied
    Convenient upgrades too

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    With a GUI that looks an works the same on all platforms without having to change the code?
    Not only that but you only ever have to upgrade the software in one place. You never have to deploy updates to clients, deal with proprietary updaters, etc.

I also wrote Gate One so you could stop & start the gateone.py process and still be able to resume everyone's sessions. This works for the new X11 feature as well. After installing an update:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/gateone stop
    # Everyone's browser reports Gate One disconnected
    /etc/init.d/gateone start
    # Within five seconds everyone's browser reconnects and it resumes where they left off
    Five seconds of down time for maintenance is pretty good, yeah?

Of course, in the real world you'd just do
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/gateone restart
    to save yourself some typing.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Also with Asm.JS we can get near native performance (right now about half but will get better with ES6)
    Nope, not true and never going to be true. Yes, it's going to be near native performance of apps that are written in a dynamic way (dynamic objects, duck typing, garbage collection, etc) but that's different from writing your app in C++ with static objects and high performance memory management.

Leave a comment:

• Pajn
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    I don't know about vanilla Java, but Python works just fine on my Android device.
    With a GUI that looks an works the same on all platforms without having to change the code?

Leave a comment:

• riskable
    replied
    I am the author

Hey there... I'm the author of Gate One. If you guys have any specific questions about it or the new X11 support just ask away.

Leave a comment:

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    This is about running everything inside the browser, including X11 itself. Look at the video to see how it's all running inside the browser. So, in theory you should be able to run this on any HTML5 capable browser even if it's not running on Linux, and that's why SSH and network transparency had to be implemented inside the emulator itself. It's basically designed to allow you to remote access another machine from any browser.
    ooooooookay. Yeah, I missed that at first. I thought the terminal window was an actual window and it was just using QtWebKit or something to be written in HTML5...
    That makes much more sense now

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Java, Python and other languages that used to be cross-platform isn't no more (They don't run on mobile phones and tablets).
    HTML5 (with friends) is the only true cross-platform environment we have.
    I don't know about vanilla Java, but Python works just fine on my Android device.

Leave a comment:

• dh04000
    replied
    Will this be a binary that just runs in a webbrowser using html5? Or can this literally be a website (ie: terminal.org or something) that you can in place of opening a terminal on your machine?

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Am I the only one who feels HTML has become an operating system? A slow and memory intensive operating system that is?
    Depends... when you say "operating system", what do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• Pajn
    replied
    Am I the only one who feels HTML has become an operating system? A slow and memory intensive operating system that is?
    Well

Java, Python and other languages that used to be cross-platform isn't no more (They don't run on mobile phones and tablets).
    HTML5 (with friends) is the only true cross-platform environment we have.

Also with Asm.JS we can get near native performance (right now about half but will get better with ES6)

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Can somebody tell me why a terminal emulator has to support network transparency? Or SSH? I thought that gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal were terminal emulators...
    (And that the SSH support came from the installed ssh)

Also, it says it "doesn't require browser plugins" which confuses me as well. I can write an HTML5 app separate from a browser in a multitude of different ways, so how does a browser fit into this??
    This is about running everything inside the browser, including X11 itself. Look at the video to see how it's all running inside the browser. So, in theory you should be able to run this on any HTML5 capable browser even if it's not running on Linux, and that's why SSH and network transparency had to be implemented inside the emulator itself. It's basically designed to allow you to remote access another machine from any browser.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X