X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by papper View Post
    Why does the RPI needs its own backend? I thought wayland/weston was supposed to be rather hardware agnostic as long as there was support in the graphics driver.

Please enlighten me!
    These two blog post explain why. It's about supporting the hardware specific features of the VideoCore in Raspberry Pi.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by JS987 View Post
    Silvermont CPUs have at most 4 cores. 8-core version is missing.
    Yeah, but it might still be competitive with Qualcomm Krait and Samsung Exynos.
    Apparently the Silvermont is targeted for tablets and is said to have good performance and battery.

Leave a comment:

• JS987
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    A 4 GHz ARM would probably get toasted by a 3 GHz Intel.
    Intel is making some good Atom processors to compete with ARM though. Like the upcoming one built on the Silvermont architecture.
    I think it will be pretty competitive with ARM processors.
    Silvermont CPUs have at most 4 cores. 8-core version is missing.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by wargames View Post
    That would be great. I'm dreaming of a 4Ghz ARMv8 processor with 8 cores for the desktop. Much lower power consumption than Intel and AMD and good performance.
    A 4 GHz ARM would probably get toasted by a 3 GHz Intel.
    But yeah, that would be really nice though.
    Imagine it passively cooled too.

Intel is making some good Atom processors to compete with ARM though. Like the upcoming one built on the Silvermont architecture.
    I think it will be pretty competitive with ARM processors.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by papper View Post
    Why does the RPI needs its own backend? I thought wayland/weston was supposed to be rather hardware agnostic as long as there was support in the graphics driver.

Please enlighten me!
    Drivers need to support X server \ Wayland \ Mir internally. It's why Intel was in the position to reject the Mir patches.

Well, I think. I was just informed otherwise at least in one case. I guess it depends on the driver...

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
    IBM CPUs cost like 10 times more than Intel ones
    Yeah lol. Note the edit I added just before you posted
    10 times is actually a very cheap estimate. The IBM Power 750 Express server we were just consulted to buy retails at 36K
    Last edited by c117152; 18 September 2013, 06:29 AM. Reason: typo, added reply

Leave a comment:

• JS987
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    Sounds like an IBM POWER7. The instruction set is RISC like ARM's and they have plenty of 4Ghz\8 cores offerings.
    IBM CPUs cost like 10 times more than Intel ones

Leave a comment:

• papper
    replied

Please enlighten me!

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by wargames View Post
    That would be great. I'm dreaming of a 4Ghz ARMv8 processor with 8 cores for the desktop. Much lower power consumption than Intel and AMD and good performance.
    Sounds like an IBM POWER7. The instruction set is RISC like ARM's and they have plenty of 4Ghz\8 cores offerings.

p.s. it's a joke... obvious one to me but I just realised I might stair up some trouble... IBM jokes... Well, it was funny a decade ago
    Last edited by c117152; 18 September 2013, 06:12 AM. Reason: p.s. that price lol...

Leave a comment:

• wargames
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Raspberry Pi is old legacy ARMv6.

I would love to see a single-board computer with ARMv8 and 64-bit.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Raspberry Pi is old legacy ARMv6.

I would love to see a single-board computer with ARMv8 and 64-bit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X