X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serafean
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Somewhere around that. If Wayland ends up being adopted as the new standard for Linux, then I'm not sure what will happen to the binary drivers. Doesn't Wayland require DRI2 and/or Gallium3D? If yes, Catalyst also doesn't support it.
    AFAIK Gallium isn't a requirement, KMS and EGL however are. This means Wayland is a big no-no on binary blobs. KMS won't be easy for nvidia to implement in their binary blob (anyone remember the mess when OSS drivers became KMS enabled?). Another hard requirement for Wayland is EGL support, which I don't know if the binary blobs support. AMD has the upper hand here with their OSS driver.
    Originally posted by 85c51 View Post
    they will probably support it once it gets more traction
    That is vey wishful thinking. Both companies have repeatedly said that their binary blobs target mainly Workstations. Wayland is meant for desktops/embedded. If OSS drivers die, so does the Linux desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Doesn't Wayland require DRI2 and/or Gallium3D? If yes, Catalyst also doesn't support it.
    My last information is that wayland need only egl and something similar to KMS.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post
    And how old is this statement? One or two years?
    Somewhere around that. If Wayland ends up being adopted as the new standard for Linux, then I'm not sure what will happen to the binary drivers. Doesn't Wayland require DRI2 and/or Gallium3D? If yes, Catalyst also doesn't support it.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    they will probably support it once it gets more traction

and if i understood the whole thing right it will be relatively easy for them

as for the GTK problem it is expected to stumble upon stuff like that since there are more people playing around with wayland

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    NVidia has officially stated that they have no current plans to support Wayland.
    And how old is this statement? One or two years?

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    I don't see how this is a problem for Wayland gtk+. It's problem for buggy nvidia blob. I hope nobody will wait for nvidia to support Wayland. It will be another reason to use AMD (if Catalyst won't have any problems).

Leave a comment:

• scionicspectre
    replied
    Perhaps the title should be rephrased. I use Intel graphics hardware since it's had pretty good support and performance after 2006. I almost thought I had to be worried.

Maybe when NVIDIA makes their driver compatible with Wayland, they'll see this issue and fix it as well. If they don't, we may simply maintain X11 versions of everything until the situation changes, and allow users with other hardware to use Wayland and cairo-gl. I'm not sure if this problem is going to make maintenance much more difficult, and it seems there are some fairly straightforward solutions.

I think that, once distros start shipping with Wayland support, NVIDIA may change their positon. Their original response about not providing Wayland support could have had similar motivations as other projects that haven't totally embraced it. It's simply not ready- why should any company consider supporting something so long before it's going to be used? Even now it would seem a bit premature.

Leave a comment:

• not.sure
    replied
    The nv blob has always sucked for cairo and some gtk.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with Wayland

It's Cairo and the way GTK is using it that's the problem. It just so happens that Wayland requires that to be used, but nothing about Wayland in particular is actually causing this.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    NVidia has officially stated that they have no current plans to support Wayland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X