Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Plasma Wayland Session Is "Finally Reaching Stability" Following Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

This will be no. Nvidia has patched the mesa libgbm so that their GBM can be used. DE don't have to special enable Nvidia GBM just it has to work right.

Please note sway code base had no modifications to support Nvidia GBM/KMS of course its simple because sway did not have eglstreams implemented. So the fun part will be removing/disabling the eglstreams stuff.
    True - point well taken and thanks for pointing this out.
    I guess it would have been better to say that the necessary MESA version + GBM backend is needed. This may be the case now but I did not follow this for a while because I run my DE off the iGPU and use Nvidia only for CUDA.
    Minor point is also that some DE's still disable Wayland if the Nvidia driver is installed.

I'm looking forward to the commentary here when folks start dropping EGLstreams.
    Last edited by mppix; 08 September 2021, 02:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post
    No, Wayland won't work well on Nvidia drivers (as in as well as on everything else) until DEs enable the Nvidia GBM backend.
    This will be no. Nvidia has patched the mesa libgbm so that their GBM can be used. DE don't have to special enable Nvidia GBM just it has to work right.

Please note sway code base had no modifications to support Nvidia GBM/KMS of course its simple because sway did not have eglstreams implemented. So the fun part will be removing/disabling the eglstreams stuff.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Tab tearing is fine on Gnome/Firefox. Also, the clipboard is mostly fine (internally and externally). The only hickkup that is currently there is that if you use the file opener, e.g. to load an email attachment, you cannot copy in the path..

Leave a comment:

• chuckula
    replied

Firefox on Gnome/Wayland works flawlessly both the native and flatpak version.
    What exactly is the issue?
    Tab tearing does not work properly under KDE (not sure about GNOME). Also, related to the tab tearing not working right, it is possible to get into a situation where the clipboard in Firefox refuses to work with the system clipboard so copy & paste breaks. It works locally within Firefox, but not between Firefox & any other program.

Leave a comment:

• tgurr
    replied
    Gnome Wayland has support for color profiles. This would need a KDE bug report.
    It's already very well known:
    The aim of the color management extension is to allow clients to know the color properties of outputs, and to tell the compositor about the color properties of...

One of the things that had been discussed during a kwin sprint in July 2019 was color management. Currently, we have a component called Night Color which is...

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    I've been Wayland exclusive sincr Plasma 5.21 and it works fine by itself. I have a few annoyances with Firefox because its Wayland suppport needs more work, but KDE itself is doing pretty well and more fixes/features are welcome.
    Firefox on Gnome/Wayland works flawlessly both the native and flatpak version.
    What exactly is the issue?

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Is anyone using KDE Wayland with proprietary NVIDIA drivers? Does this work?
    No, Wayland won't work well on Nvidia drivers (as in as well as on everything else) until DEs enable the Nvidia GBM backend.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by tgurr View Post
    And another showstopper for me is that colord/icc profiles aren't supported on wayland yet
    Gnome Wayland has support for color profiles. This would need a KDE bug report.

Leave a comment:

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Have they fixed the screen selection issue with krunner and full-screen apps? If no, then Plasma Wayland is still not ready for production in multiscreen environments.
    THIS! For the love of god idk if we’re the only 2 weird people that for some reason have their “1” monitor on the right or what, but I cannot get krunner or full screen apps (or even Vivaldi for that matter) to open on my right (both position and correct) monitor.

it’s the biggest annoyance for Plasma Wayland for me, along with a few other paper cuts.

Leave a comment:

• prueba_hola
    replied
    ngraham
    Can this be fixed/worked on 5.24 ?
    Can you say something about this ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X