Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 34 KDE Spin Planning Switch To Wayland

Phoronix: Fedora 34 KDE Spin Planning Switch To Wayland

For four years now since Fedora 25 the default GNOME Shell desktop environment has been using Wayland by default. Next spring with Fedora 34, the KDE Spin is finally planning a similar migration to use Wayland by default with the KDE Plasma desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dare we hope ??
    What about for nvidia users ?

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
      Dare we hope ??
      What about for nvidia users ?
      According to the proposal:

Plasma, in fact, does support NVIDIA GPUs with the proprietary driver on Wayland. It needs to be manually activated, which will be taken care of by the kwin-wayland-nvidia package. So the expectation is that all major GPUs will work just fine.
      I have no experience with KDE on Wayland, so others’ experiences will matter more for verifying the statement.

The discussion on the proposal can be found here:

Cheers,
      Mike

Comment

I wish the Fedora KDE the best of luck on this transition. I have been using Plasma + Wayland + Mesa on Arch for about two years. The experience has been one of stability improvements and functionality increases to the point where it now feels weird for me to use an X11 session. Which is very strange to say after a decade in Linux! Hopefully, upcoming techs like Pipewire will help solve a few of the missing functionality gaps.

My advice for using those considering Wayland with Plasma: 1) only use distributions with current or near current versions of Plasma (arch, manjaro, fedora, tumbleweed), 2) stick to using AMD or Intel GPUs with Mesa as the driver, 3) use wayland from a fresh boot (jumping back and forth between Wayland and X11 sessions can sometimes trigger issues with sddm). 4) Watch out on very old home directories that contain very old kde .config files 5) Enjoy super fluid window movement (very noticeable on a 144hz monitor)!

Comment

I am really just waiting for pipewire to support all my use cases right now. I do FAR too much screen-casting at the moment.
          Pipewire did however make a lot of noise about being mostly done recently, so I hope I won't have to wait too long.

I do however just love the dynamic DPI stuff for wayland aware apps. And it's a bummer that Java apps don't support that well yet.

Comment

Although this might work okay on many desktop machines in certain configurations, my experience from an Intel / Nvidia laptop user running mesa is one of regressions in the Wayland functionality. By no means is this anywhere near usable. This is under Ubuntu, Arch and Majaro. I think eventually Wayland will be ready but until then keep crushing the bugs!

Comment

I usually use it in Tumbleweed and all in all it works quite well, little things are still missing, but it could speed up if the distributions set it by default, the Xorg session will always be there in case of need.
              I wonder if SDDM will have to start Xorg again or will it be ported to Wayland.

Comment

I did not have any major problems with Wayland on Nvidia on my desktop actually, only WM\DE specific bugs. But it is just unusable on notebook with PRIME - I could not basically offload anything. And that's on Manjaro. Maybe need to try Fedora since people are using GNOME on Wayland and maybe PRIME works there. So X11 for me now.

Comment

There's no way Plasma Wayland is ready for this yet

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                    I usually use it in Tumbleweed and all in all it works quite well, little things are still missing, but it could speed up if the distributions set it by default, the Xorg session will always be there in case of need.
                    I wonder if SDDM will have to start Xorg again or will it be ported to Wayland.
                    SDDM has seen barely any changes in years now, it has 355 outstanding issues - I think it's safe to say it's just about dead as a project

Comment

Working...
                    X