X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thatguy
    replied
    mesa was started in 1989

6 years before your first cvs snapshots.

Linux is still a giant mess.

I can say it and I don't care if it pisses of the linux zealots. If you can't take criticism it shows that the linux community is either elitist or to ignorant to know the difference.

but at least its secure.

and its funny I am a linux basher, I use linux for a great many things. Namely running my server and a few other HPC need, ands its great in that role.

the linux kernel is a nice piece of technology. Its also not a hybrid. but that doesn't make linux a operating system. that is where the problem arises'.

but if linux users and the linux community can't take the heat, they should get out of the kitchen, If microsoft behaved like the average linux evangelist they'd be at home right now pissing there pants.

For however much bashing you think linux gets MS gets it 10000X worse and they still have to answer the phone. Not act like a bunch of sniveling children whining about everything when they get called on their bullshit.

Linux must grow up and mature and come to accept that

A. many people are more correct about your OS then you are.

b. some of us who are critical have been around longer.

c . blind fiath is like a religion.

Linux is becoming a religion. its got all the attributes.

If you make a good product and showcase it, users will come. what the average distro users can't accept is that they do not have a good product.

Originally posted by popper View Post
    bzzzz wrong again, you where never there or even read the source code of the original 1.0 beta February 1995 Initial release back when it was new and fresh i take it !

and funnily enough you're very link takes you to the correct and historically accurate information too

"Acknowledgments

The following individuals and groups are to be acknowledged for their contributions to Mesa over the years. This list is far from complete and somewhat dated, unfortunately.

Early Mesa development was done while Brian was part of the SSEC Visualization Project at the University of Wisconsin. He'd like to thank Bill Hibbard for letting him work on Mesa as part of that project. "

Mesa

You may also be interested in Mesa, which was originally developed by Brian Paul while with the SSEC Visualization Project. Mesa is a 3-D graphics library with an API which is very similar to that of OpenGL.*

To the extent that Mesa utilizes the OpenGL command syntax or state machine, it is being used with authorization from Silicon Graphics, Inc. However, the author makes no claim that Mesa is in any way a compatible replacement for OpenGL or associated with Silicon Graphics, Inc. Those who want a licensed implementaion of OpenGL should contact a licensed vendor. This software is distributed under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License, see the LICENSE file for details.

* OpenGL(R) is a registered trademark of Silicon Graphics, Inc."

Leave a comment:

• popper
    replied
    Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    I know he is an obvious anti-linux troll. He has been spouting endless lies regarding Linux over at Haiku's official forums aswell. But as a huge Haiku fan, PLEASE don't let this moron cloud your views on Haiku. Sadly his comments manages to drag Haiku in the mud with them.
    LOL its not a problem XorEaxEax, some of us know and where actually there even before Beos became real never mind Haiku, and many advocated many a developer from Amiga,AROS, Linux and other fringe OS's helped shape the app BEOS landscape such as Dave Haynie

i do wish far more active linux,fringe OS of your choice collaboration took place today though, it wont be long before the MS ARM OS hype machine takes off, dont underestimate that sheeple factor ether, make it work now for you Now or pay the price later.

Leave a comment:

• popper
    replied
    Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
    wow mesa was developed as a open source renderer for Opengl 1.0

find linux on this page.

http://www.mesa3d.org/
    bzzzz wrong again, you where never there or even read the source code of the original 1.0 beta February 1995 Initial release back when it was new and fresh i take it !

and funnily enough you're very link takes you to the correct and historically accurate information too

"Acknowledgments

The following individuals and groups are to be acknowledged for their contributions to Mesa over the years. This list is far from complete and somewhat dated, unfortunately.

Early Mesa development was done while Brian was part of the SSEC Visualization Project at the University of Wisconsin. He'd like to thank Bill Hibbard for letting him work on Mesa as part of that project. "

Mesa

You may also be interested in Mesa, which was originally developed by Brian Paul while with the SSEC Visualization Project. Mesa is a 3-D graphics library with an API which is very similar to that of OpenGL.*

To the extent that Mesa utilizes the OpenGL command syntax or state machine, it is being used with authorization from Silicon Graphics, Inc. However, the author makes no claim that Mesa is in any way a compatible replacement for OpenGL or associated with Silicon Graphics, Inc. Those who want a licensed implementaion of OpenGL should contact a licensed vendor. This software is distributed under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License, see the LICENSE file for details.

* OpenGL(R) is a registered trademark of Silicon Graphics, Inc."

Leave a comment:

• popper
    replied
    oops fat fingers/typo's , that's http://www.morphos-team.net/

Leave a comment:

• popper
    replied
    Originally posted by marek View Post
    Haiku developers don't get one thing: In order to get fine hardware support, they need to port these components:
    - Linux kernel DRM (direct rendering manager)
    - Mesa & Gallium3D
    - some drivers need libdrm

Gallium3D hardware drivers are currently dependent on kernel DRM (as are any other Mesa drivers which need KMS) and I think Haiku developers have no chances to get hardware acceleration without it. They have to port everything.

And then they would probably need a full-time developer to maintain that beast.
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    @marek I don't know why you think they don't understand those points... from what I gather they do understand this and its part of the reason the port hasn't happened.
    Originally posted by marek View Post
    Alright. I stand corrected.
    No, you have not been corrected actually, you're right in 90% + of your first points marek.

it is the Haiku advocates/devs that are way off base as regards their bounty costs and current reasoning when people say things like "Gallium3D bounty needs a target of US$ 7.000,00 at least or no one will take a huge task like this. Remember"

and "I did not know that even AROS gallium port is surpassing Haiku..."

Target: $2000 Reached! | Balance
    Developer: Not assigned
    Expiry: March 15th, 2011

and yet in that same post http://haikuware.com/20100824525/blender-on-haiku

he states that "Krzysztof "Deadwood" Smiechowicz from AROS gallium fame could give a hand."

you may have seen Deadwood report a potential mesa/AROS bug on the [email protected] list the other day, but it got no real feedback so far,that's a shame, and their AROS bounty stood at

"Gallium3D based Software/Hardware 3D
    Donations:
    $1082.00

Completed
    Developer:
    Krzysztof Śmiechowicz
    "
    and Deadwood was going to do it anyway , the bounty was just a bonus for him

put simply currently the Haiku people , both dev's and advocates (are there even any old school BEOS people in that group now! it seem's not)seem very confused about how , who and what relationships Genesi/Efika,Linux, power2people bounty's, AROS and MorthOS etc share , or how they Haiku could benefit from new and varied collaborations with these old school people/org's can help them, and even get free/subsidised ARM and related hardware donations, and id have to spell it out to the likes of Thatguy

put simply even Krzysztof/Deadwood's current up to date mesa gallium AROS style hidds port is already there and in a form more suitable for Haiku adaptation than the current Linux base and they could do a lot worse than have collaborate on a large scale for many benefits for all fringe OS for all the up and coming ARM platforms etc...

its not an ether/or world any more unless you want to waste far more time and effort and have non existent MS ARM look like the better option worth waiting for and make the mass vertical profits in 5-10 years from now.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Not to mention the constant breakage due to the monolithic design of the kernel.
    The linux kernel is a hybrid design, as are all other modern kernels that have a widespread popularity. The only exceptions are a few real-time OS's that have gone to a micro-kernel since it is easier to guarantee RT requirements with them.

Leave a comment:

• Nevertime
    replied
    Its like the Us version china in many fields right now

china ranks #1 in math/science and a few other fields.

the USA ranks 35th

but our self esteem is through the roof.

Linux suffers the same problem.

your last on the list, but you feel like winners.
    I think you'll find it you whos displaying a very tribal attatue here. The only trolling on this thread I remeber from any linux fanboy was one of the first commenters.

You seem to be determind to dismise all the hard work of the countless devs that have contrabuted to gnu/linux. Why? Because your in the haiku tribe? Because somehow you think the only gnu coders who are worth anything and are able to innovate happened to be in your tribe?

Sure linux can be improved and it is. But it works well for me and all my computer use. I'm not running one of the big distros at the moment and i have no problems.

Haiku and linux don't have the same goals. Its not a war, though you seem to insist on portraying it that way. Even asuming Haiku has great success (which i hope it has) Haiku may never have anything like the range of customisation that linux has. They have diffrent approaches and that gives diffrent pros and cons.

There are clear benifts to having competition between elements such as the gui. With out the gnome vs kde conflict i doubt we'd have anything on the level of the latest kde.

Nobody here is doubting the abilitys of haiku devs. Its you who seem to think haiku devs are simply in a diffrent league to everyone else. That is just tribal arrogance. Your problem seems to be like this US vs china notion. We're not at war, we can work together to make a better world........ not that I'm from either country.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    The difference is that linux is a big gaint mess of
    * plonk *

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Naw, I actually think Haiku is interesting, although not really ready for general use yet. I just find it ironic that he's complaining about how linux was designed to be a copy of a proprietary OS and therefore must suck, while simultaneously talking about how awesome Haiku is which was also designed to be a clone and piggy backing off a lot of the same software that linux uses.
    The difference is that linux is a big gaint mess of knotted apis and abis and kernels and drivers window managers IDe etc etc etc with a massive landscape of incompatability. In fact it has become exactly what Tenebaum predicted it would in fact become.

Kind of funny how he called it nearly 20 years ago. Not to mention the constant breakage due to the monolithic design of the kernel.

that aside Ubuntu makes steady progress. I wouldn't really call most linux distrobutions ready for primetime then I would the current state of haiku. Ubuntu,redhat and other quality distrobutions being the exception. Enterprise definately being primaetime ready but those deployments are usually put on tons of hardware clones and they are tweaked and optimized, not for the home desktop users at all.

Linux users can't seem to getover their own feeling of self worth

Its like the Us version china in many fields right now

china ranks #1 in math/science and a few other fields.

the USA ranks 35th

but our self esteem is through the roof.

Linux suffers the same problem.

your last on the list, but you feel like winners.

Leave a comment:

• marek
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    @marek I don't know why you think they don't understand those points... from what I gather they do understand this and its part of the reason the port hasn't happened.
    Alright. I stand corrected.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X