Red Hat Is Hiring Another Linux Developer To Work On GPU Hardware Enablement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    If I had to choose between "Bay Area" and Brno, I would choose Brno. Its nice, Czech, Not American(Important) and they have really good beer(Unlike the US). If you are ever in Czech Republic, try Radegast Beer.
    I don't think this is a good place to signal superiority of one country over other. I an referring to "not american (important)" not to the beer. Coincidently, US is a place where where make every single conceivable beer. But somehow people associate "beer sold on stadiums" (watered-down Bud) with what is available in stores/pubs (and there is everything).
    Last edited by lacek; 13 October 2021, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lacek View Post

I don't think this is a good place to signal superiority of one country over other. I an referring to "not american (important)" not to the beer. Coincidently, US is a place where where make every single conceivable beer. But somehow people associate "beer sold on stadiums" (watered-down Bud) with what is available in stores/pubs (and there is everything).
      I have not said Czech is a better country, its a better country to work in. I am not Czech myself if that is of any importance, I have no patriotic feelings for that country.
      Also, please do not start with the "rich" US's craft beer culture, its not good.

There is a reason why you can get Mexican, Chinese, Japanese and Australian beer around the world, but you will be a very lucky person if you find a single store selling bud light in Eurasia.

Comment

Originally posted by spanky View Post
        weird places like North Carolina and Czech Republic. They need to open up proper offices where the talent is, like the bay area
        I don't think this is a good place to signal superiority of one country/place over other. The world is not just Bay Area and North America respectively, you know, not even the tech world.

Comment

Originally posted by spanky View Post
          They need to open up proper offices where the talent is, like the bay area
          I don't know what “bay area” is neither in which country it is, I then definitely not have any interest to work there. It may then be a bad idea to recruit there.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            If they want to attract top talent and finally Linux GPU acceleration on par with Windows and OSX, they need to open up their pockets and pay a bit more.
            I work for Red Hat in the Netherlands and there is an office 10 minutes biking distance from where I live. Not that it matters since my team is a 100% remote and Red Hat encourages that.

Comment

I have not said Czech is a better country, its a better country to work in. I am not Czech myself if that is of any importance, I have no patriotic feelings for that country.
              Also, please do not start with the "rich" US's craft beer culture, its not good.
              First of all there is no "craft beer" and "corporation beer". There is just beer. Beer consists of water, yeast, malt (barley or wheat), and hop. There are and there have been numerous local breweries that made variations, sometimes they added some grain that was not malt, or some herbs,but in most cases just there 4 ingrediends are used.
              With that mindset whether beer is "craft" or not is a marketing term.

Second I thought we were discussing "beer" not "beer culture". This matters as I would agree in Czechia there is a strong "beer culture" and in US it is not that obvious.

Third, you wrote "Not American(Important) and they have really good beer". This is anti-US statement, that is clearly about something more than beer, as "not important" comes before "beer" debate.

Comment

Originally posted by lacek View Post

Not really. The ad says "Successful applicants must reside in a country where Red Hat is registered to do business". So if they hire someone in Easter Europe and that person will not relocate to US, they will not pay him $130000 / year, as this would be 3-4 times more than the pay of an ordinary programmer. With these experience requirements I'd say 50-60k is more likely _in those areas_. With taxes perhaps 70k, but that is already a really good wage. Just to give perspective, the national average is just above $10 or $17k before tax (in Poland, in Czech republic is similar).

Just to give some perspective. 3 bedroom flat costs around $100-200 k in Poland in largest cities. That is $100k not $1M like in US. And it does not cost $150 to call a plumber. More like $50.
                Ontop of this I would argue hiring people in San Fran area is highly overrated and with what Covid showed us with remote work I would actually argue this is more fiscally responsible for Red Hat. California also has ridiculous income tax so you need to take this account when doing wage comparisons.

Also Eastern European/Scandinavian/North European countries have very strong historical experience with Linux.

I don't think it would be a stretch to say that you should only really be picking San Fran if you are a startup and are expecting to be bought out buy the big tech guys.

If I had to choose between "Bay Area" and Brno, I would choose Brno. Its nice, Czech, Not American(Important) and they have really good beer(Unlike the US). If you are ever in Czech Republic, try Radegast Beer.
                Brno is very nice, Prague is also a beautiful city (although overcrowded with tourists)

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post

I work for Red Hat in the Netherlands and there is an office 10 minutes biking distance from where I live. Not that it matters since my team is a 100% remote and Red Hat encourages that.
                  Thanks for contributing some useful information to this thread.

Comment

I'd rather TSMC work on their GPU Hardware Enablement. The one that Enables me to buy GPU Hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      I'd rather TSMC work on their GPU Hardware Enablement. The one that Enables me to buy GPU Hardware.
                      The US government threw billions of dollars at them to build new fabs (capitalism tm) in the US it just takes time.

Comment

Working...
                      X