• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    And if you don't want to run it in an Arduino
    On a standard Arduino? No I don't want to run "micropython". Micropython itself is 6 times larger than the entirety of the SRAM haha

Compared to Java or even C#, businesses rarely use python. For one, the volatility of PIP and the dependency "orgy" that follows means it isn't reliable enough. Like I said, 2025, Python 3.x will be gone and 2.x will be on life support for legacy projects.

Leave a comment:

• brrrrttttt
    replied
    Friends don't let friends micropython. Dynamic language that only blows up at runtime is _not_ what you want in embedded.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Linux used to be more niche than MSDOS.
    Yes, and back then it was not arrogantly requiring other projects to support it, and whine if they didn't. Did you remember the first announcement?

That's my point. If you know your project is tiny and not really heavily relevant you should accept to not even register on most other project's radar.

Python is such a (2005 to 2025) fad. You heard it here first!
    Nah. It's far too entrenched to die, in enterprise stuff it's well beyond the point of no return, and it's making its way in IoT microcontroller space too. Did you know that they made a Python interpreter for microcontrollers? https://micropython.org/
    And if you don't want to run it in an Arduino there is pretty decent hardware designed for running python in a microcontroller for IoT usage.
    With forty-five years of experience in manufacturing and a team at the forefront of IoT, SG Wireless can help turn your vision into a finished product.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    If it is more niche than Haiku it really should not complain if the world does not care about them.

I mean, no offence, but more niche than Haiku man.
    Linux used to be more niche than MSDOS. I am pretty glad developers back then made correct choices.

Python is such a (2005 to 2025) fad. You heard it here first! Any build system using it is already obsolete (i.e like meson and scons).

I say, if they get rid of the platform support that meson is going to force them to drop anyway, they might as well clean up and simplify a standard Makefile system and keep it clean and simple.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Candy View Post
    I already asked myself what you do in real life.
    I never kept secret that I work in IT, and if you actually knew something about IT you would not find that weird at all.

You know, I do support and setup of stuff. This means I usually have a PC in front of me and often also a mic on my head (when I'm not offsite doing setup of stuff), I must have an internet connection because I need to be able to google for morons that can't do so, AND I also have a ton of short wait times (a few minutes) between some clicks in some installation/configuration procedure and the next step, so I can write stuff piecemeal while I wait.

And I'm bored easily.

God knows where else you write.
    I write anywhere and everywhere, at any time, every time. There is no escape, I will write and you will eventually read.

And... you are again shifting to attacking the messenger as you can't fine flaws in the message.

For example, I'm sure the class is still waiting for the name of the Illuminati's not-so-unix-like OS that can't run Python in 2018.

Leave a comment:

• Candy
    replied
    It's called life.
    I already asked myself what you do in real life. You wrote 8838 comments within less than 3 years. That makes around 10 comments per day. And this on phoronix only. God knows where else you write.

I otoh spent my days with job, travel, family, vacation and my secret illuminati project.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    I recall times on Linux, where people and projects were lacking support and developers. A lot of projects died because of lack of interest, supporters and developers.
    This never changed, even now.

It's called life. When something is not alive for way too long it's time to declare it dead and move on. Things come and things go.

Take the ideas, the logic that was animating the old project and see if something else can use it. And be ready to recognize and accept if the old stuff was a mistake, or just a educational endeavour (i.e. served to teach you stuff).

... and nowadays - with even more momentum for Linux - projects (not entirely correct) can become assholes and drop other operating systems or even be in the position to piss people off.
    We are still talking of "entire operating systems" that can't run Python in 2018, and that aren't even that unix-like and that also lacks a name.

I'd say it's fine to not care about secret projects of the Illuminati.

I would realy like that these people reconsider where they started with and that they relied on people from everywhere to help out.
    That's exactly the point. None of these "developers" from this fictional not-so-unix-like system ever showed up in the mailing list to complain that it would break their project, nor contributed to Mesa. Or did they?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Big words from a person, that until maybe a few years, felt home on Windows.
    Baseless claim right there.

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    Windows doesn't run Python in 2018
    Reimplement Meson in Rust anyone? Somebody is bound to do that at some point.

I'm too lazy/afraid to do it myself as long as the Meson devs keep piling on features.

Leave a comment:

• Candy
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    crappy picture removed
    I think you people should stop this bullshit with those fancy pictures.

I recall times on Linux, where people and projects were lacking support and developers. A lot of projects died because of lack of interest, supporters and developers. Then - once Linux received more momentum - people started supporting at different projects... People from all over the world, from all kind of different platforms and different operating systems contributed to these projects...

... and nowadays - with even more momentum for Linux - projects (not entirely correct) can become assholes and drop other operating systems or even be in the position to piss people off. I would realy like that these people reconsider where they started with and that they relied on people from everywhere to help out.

Poor sign. Same shit with systemd... We are on linux and we don't care for others anymore...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X