• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brrrrttttt
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I agree with this.

Rewriting Meson in a lower-level language will make it fare better to CMake.
    I'm really curious why the implementation language for a build system matters?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by andreano View Post

Reimplement Meson in Rust anyone? Somebody is bound to do that at some point
    I agree with this.

Rewriting Meson in a lower-level language will make it fare better to CMake.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post

If you want to try, you can try building the mesa PKGBUILD with setting `b_ndebug` set to to false https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/p...kages/mesa#n40, that can cause quiet a bit of stuttering (I've experienced it myself).
    I'll give that a go, if we're both seeing that, I would corroborate whatever ticket you have (or file my own).

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Candy View Post

I think you people should stop this bullshit with those fancy pictures.
    And I think people like the person I quoted should stop spreading misinformation.

But aside from that: I hardly every post those 'fancy' pictures.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    ... and nowadays - with even more momentum for Linux - projects (not entirely correct) can become assholes and drop other operating systems or even be in the position to piss people off. I would realy like that these people reconsider where they started with and that they relied on people from everywhere to help out.

Poor sign. Same shit with systemd... We are on linux and we don't care for others anymore...
    Companies have tendency to not care, bigger ones might still care about something more, but small ones care about nothing More companies you have around, project will become more successful. But success comes with a price, as in the same time as you have more companies, they less and less care about others as they more and more does not care about anything else, probably developers couldn't even notice when they became ignorants

And in turn that is because, as companies prefer to have developers as blind pusherers it is normal that even Linus must more often go to "mad" mode They won't pay you for else you are doing and by the time all that just rose down.

So that is what happened to Mesa and some other projects. And it is really just that, as you have more companies and we know they have tendency to not care about else, about others and here of course about copyleft too, they prefer to remove or replace all of these

At the end we as a users can't expect anything else but to expect no support, in this or another ways as even companies are not aware when they are producing shit around, as their developer base who are employed as blind pusherers also could become conservative community of pure ass lickers to whose none Code of Conduct will help nothing
    Last edited by dungeon; 19 September 2018, 05:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    I for sure belive this but ...

There is no python on this (particular) operating system afaic. The people lack a lot of ressources to get things ported properly. The "basic" *unix* kind of environment (... with autotools) has been evolved over the past decade and the stuff *works*. A bunch of open source programs work, SDL works, some Games got ported. A lot of native old programs from former time etc. But no python. CMake exists. Crosscompiling things on a Host (like Linux) works too

So yes I agree! Moving to meson means less portability
    The whole mesa project build relies heavily on python already. Even if you're using autotools, there's a ton of python scripts that get run to generate various files, so you've been out of luck for years.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by crymsonpheonix View Post

Ha, ha, so are you claim that there are not these tendencies? And how everything is OK by design as we give you a freedom to catch a fly?

Last edited by dungeon; 18 September 2018, 09:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• linner
    replied
    I hate autotools with a passion. Back in the early 2000's I was forced to use it for many of my contracts and it sucked every time. The most awful way to mix the worst possible tools in the worst possible way.

With that said, Meson is hardly better. Especially for people that think Python is stupid and painfully slow. There are really only two ways to build something: Regular old hand written Makefiles or CMake.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    On a standard Arduino? No I don't want to run "micropython". Micropython itself is 6 times larger than the entirety of the SRAM haha
    Arduino Due runs it, is it Arduino enough for you? https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...enabled-717dd9
    There is also CircuitPython which works on Arduino zero and other similar microcontrollers https://www.baldengineer.com/circuit-python.html

Compared to Java or even C#, businesses rarely use python.
    It's big in the cloud application and cloud platforms, its main competitors are Go or webstuff like PHP/Javascript.

Microsoft's Azure https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azu...es-python-ptvs
    Google Cloud https://cloud.google.com/python/
    Amazon AWS https://aws.amazon.com/developer/language/python/

Java and C# are not for cloud but for local application or server backends, an entirely different kind of fish.

For one, the volatility of PIP and the dependency "orgy" that follows means it isn't reliable enough. Like I said, 2025, Python 3.x will be gone and 2.x will be on life support for legacy projects.
    Repeating the same statement does not make it any more likely to happen.

Python has reached a critical mass just like Java or PHP did, it's not going away.

Leave a comment:

• crymsonpheonix
    replied
    Linux used to be more niche than MSDOS. I am pretty glad developers back then made correct choices.

Python is such a (2005 to 2025) fad. You heard it here first! Any build system using it is already obsolete (i.e like meson and scons).
    Can't decide if you're a troll or just trying to be funny.

I say, if they get rid of the platform support that meson is going to force them to drop anyway, they might as well clean up and simplify a standard Makefile system and keep it clean and simple.
    Oh you just suggested that a "makefile system" can be "clean and simple", definitely a troll.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X