No announcement yet.

Image Quality Comparison: Nouveau Gallium3D vs. NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not simply use a third party image hoster until Openbenchmarking is ready?
    Flickr or something? (Just a suggestion, there are probably better fit alternatives...)

Comment

The bloom is offset in both the Nvidia Driver and Nouveau, as well as the Radeon Gallium3D one but Catalyst is correct? Sounds like the graphics dev for this engine runs on the Catalyst driver and is basing off a GL bug, or the other 3 have bugs in their GL implementations?

Also the Nvidia official driver looks clearly better due to the anti-aliasing, what's the framerate like between them?

Comment

The Nouveau renders are just...bad. Really.

If I'm ever going to game on my Linux box with an NVIDIA card, it's going to be with the binary driver and the binary driver only; Nouveau's render quality looks almost to be 5 years behind Nvidia's blob.

But if it's for anything else other than gaming, I'd snap up Nouveau in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          really? all doing it wrong but only the holy Catalyst is right?
          hoping that i wont regret it:

i have spent about 20seconds of my life thinking about and writing those quotation marks (Anf?hrungsstriche) whether they will be clear. and you ask me that question?
          ok, to be fair, you write "holy Catalyst" (with a capital letter - yes i know you are german) so either you are being sarcastic or paranoid, but it seems either of them has blocked your perception.

short story long:
          its pretty obvious, that either 3 drivers (radeon, nouveau and nvidia) are wrong and catalyst and the game are correct.
          or the game has a bug, and catalyst knows it.

by the way, how about intel?
          Last edited by jakubo; 21 February 2012, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            The Nouveau renders are just...bad. Really.

If I'm ever going to game on my Linux box with an NVIDIA card, it's going to be with the binary driver and the binary driver only; Nouveau's render quality looks almost to be 5 years behind Nvidia's blob.

But if it's for anything else other than gaming, I'd snap up Nouveau in a heartbeat.
            Calm down the only difference is the anti-aliasing, it's probably a tickbox away...

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
              short story long:
              its pretty obvious, that either 3 drivers (radeon, nouveau and nvidia) are wrong and catalyst and the game are correct.
              or the game has a bug, and catalyst knows it.

by the way, how about intel?
              The gallium drivers all probably share the code being hit by this in the state tracker, so they should just count as a single driver.

Mesa Gallium and NVidia are doing things 1 way.
              fglrx and the game are treating it the other way.

Comment

AA

Originally posted by MistaED View Post
                Calm down the only difference is the anti-aliasing, it's probably a tickbox away...
                If you'd read my post you wouldn't have to speculate. It's already implemented in the gallium driver, and applications can use it via EXT_framebuffer_multisample.
                Unfortunately most applications use the ugly hackish annoying AA visuals instead which mesa and the state tracker don't support yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  the nouveau is more pixelish... is AA enabled on the Nvidia blob?

but what bothers me more: NVIDIA does the same "mistake" for bloom position as the OSS drivers do... only Catalyst is "right".
                  This. Any Nexuiz people on here?

Comment

I'm afraid that it's not nvidia and mesa making a mistake, but fglrx and Nexuiz... I think the Nexuiz programmer who implemented this bloom used fglrx so didn't see that the code was in fact wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X