• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rikkinho
    replied
    bad ideia man

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    I'm building a new PC and I'm thinking to add a R7 260X for using with the OSS drivers. I hope I won't have big problems...
    bad ideia, i remember my times with a amd gpu... bad ideia

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    I'm building a new PC and I'm thinking to add a R7 260X for using with the OSS drivers. I hope I won't have big problems...

Leave a comment:

• Attent?ter
    replied
    The OpenSource Drivers run CS:GO better in Fedora 21 then the catalyst

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    In the past multithreading caused severe issues with catalyst driver resulting in freezes/hangs (witcher2) and/or crashes (X-Plane). Perhaps they deactivate it for most applications with wise foresight?

Leave a comment:

• dragorth
    replied
    Devil in the details.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Wait they're just NOW adding multi-threading? If it were nvidia I'd be a little more understanding, but AMD's CPUs are notorious for losing efficiency at single-threaded tasks, hence investing in things like HSA. Also, why exactly does this benefit CS:GO so much specifically? Is it known to suffer CPU overhead?
    Both AMD and Nvidia get such great performance from games by creating a "profile" for the game, while open source drivers try to optimize for the common case, or the vast majority of users. They put in extra code to optimize the parts of the game that they can effect.

I don't know if AMD has a multithreaded driver, I would hope they do. However, if they do have a multithreaded driver, they most likely have a single threaded version for single threaded applications and single core cpus. They may be doing something that prevents CS:GO from using the multithreaded version of their driver, something only they could fix.

TLR

We don't have enough info to infer what the issue is.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Wait they're just NOW adding multi-threading? If it were nvidia I'd be a little more understanding, but AMD's CPUs are notorious for losing efficiency at single-threaded tasks, hence investing in things like HSA. Also, why exactly does this benefit CS:GO so much specifically? Is it known to suffer CPU overhead?

Leave a comment:

• A Future Catalyst Update Will Improve CS:GO's Linux Performance

Phoronix: A Future Catalyst Update Will Improve CS:GO's Linux Performance

AMD is expected to release an updated Catalyst Linux driver in due time that will improve the frame rates for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X