Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yotambien
    replied
    I thought it was funny. And that it has a point. I don't understand Starvalf's answer to it.

Leave a comment:

• krazy
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    Linux has the GPL, and Linux is more popular, QED?

You know, the global temperature has steadily increased while the number of pirates in the world has steadily decreased. That correlation must be a proof of causation! Pirates keep the world cool! It's science!

stupid, unfunny and wrong to boot. fail.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post

You know, the global temperature has steadily increased while the number of pirates in the world has steadily decreased. That correlation must be a proof of causation! Pirates keep the world cool! It's science!

If I had a dollar for every time some individual in one of these tech forums did the causation != correlation line, I'd be very much better off than I am right now.

No, it doesn't correlate. However, there IS a hint there that you overlooked- hopefully just to make that moot point.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    Of course licenses matter, unfortunately. We don't need license wars, though. BSDL is fine for many projects (and might be bad for some), the same is valid for (L)GPL. But there's no One True License and no need to be fanatic about certain licenses.
    Heh... Well, I did say one should pick and choose their battles. My preference is for the LGPL myself, but I've released (and WILL continue to release) under MIT/X11 and BSD as well. If he wants to do something and it's not taking away from me or anyone else's direct efforts...let him. If he succeeds in moving it forward under the LGPL or GPL, then that was what was meant to be.

Uhm, I was referring to sylware's plan to fork G3D or whatever. That would be pointless. Linux development is already much more fragmented than is healthy.
    Uh... They've been saying that selfsame thing for the last decade or more now... (I should know, I've been doing stuff in or for Linux since the 0.9x kernel series... )

In the end, it's about dealing with one's personal coding itch as much as anything else. And while both of us feel that it's a waste of at least his time, if he's happy, then at least I am happy. If he succeeds with the fork, so much the better- it's about the best code and practices winning out, right? It's not about all being the borg and doing the same thing to the same goal.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    If it didn't truly matter, why is *BSD not more popular than Linux? It had the head start, you know...

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    There are developers that DO care about the License because it DOES matter. I just pick and choose my battles, unlike some. If it didn't truly matter, why is *BSD not more popular than Linux? It had the head start, you know...
    Of course licenses matter, unfortunately. We don't need license wars, though. BSDL is fine for many projects (and might be bad for some), the same is valid for (L)GPL. But there's no One True License and no need to be fanatic about certain licenses.

You sure about that? Tannenbaum effectively said the same thing about Linux...
    Uhm, I was referring to sylware's plan to fork G3D or whatever. That would be pointless. Linux development is already much more fragmented than is healthy.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    There are complaints about manpower, but when people want to adres this problem by laying out the driver independant groundwork that is going to ensure more development efficiency per man hour it aint good either.

Get a grip...

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    I'm glad most developers don't care about license "religion" bullshit.
    Please speak for only yourself, brent. There are developers that DO care about the License because it DOES matter. I just pick and choose my battles, unlike some. If it didn't truly matter, why is *BSD not more popular than Linux? It had the head start, you know...

What a waste of time and manpower.
    You sure about that? Tannenbaum effectively said the same thing about Linux... The *BSD crowd clearly had the same opinion, as does the FSF when you get down to brass tacks (HURD?). In the end, what happened?

You can't tell what is/isn't a waste of time and manpower until after it's been a waste for a while...

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Hmm, do you have any statistics about that ?

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    Originally posted by sylware View Post
    I speak for myself: I wanted to help, really, but GNU (L)GPL only code for me. My code would have been trashed.

And whatever, I have had no brain time to code anything, and if one day I do, I will fork as I do not agree at all on the design goals.
    What a waste of time and manpower.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X